Twitter buys MoPub mobile-focused ad exchange
MoPub provides a mobile-focused ad exchange Twitter will use to manage marketing campaigns
IDG News Service - Twitter has acquired MoPub, a mobile-focused advertising exchange that could help the social network grow its ad business as more users move away from the desktop.
MoPub offers a hosted service that app publishers use to manage inventory from multiple sources -- direct ads, house ads, ad networks and real-time bidding -- all through a single product, Twitter said in a blog post Monday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
MoPub's clients include WordPress, Songza, OpenTable, Flixster and Scopely, according to MoPub's own website.
Twitter said the acquisition will help it address two big trends: consumers' shift to mobile and industry's shift to programmatic buying.
With a possible IPO looming, Twitter is under pressure to make more money at a time when users are migrating away from the desktop and spending more time on smartphones and tablets.
It cited an opportunity to "extend many types of native advertising across the mobile ecosystem through the MoPub exchange."
The technology will also allow Twitter to build real-time bidding into its ad platform, "so our advertisers can more easily automate and scale their buys," Kevin Weil, VP of product for revenue at Twitter, said in the post.
Google operates a similar ad exchange with DoubleClick, which it acquired in 2007.
Gartner analyst Brian Blau said MoPub's technology could help Twitter serve ads to more consumers outside of Twitter.com and the company's own mobile app. It will also help Twitter compete against ad networks like DoubleClick, Millennial and Flurry, he said.
MoPub serves billions of mobile ads worldwide every month, MoPub CEO Jim Payne said in the company's own blog post.
"Twitter will invest in our core business," he said, and MoPub will continue to build tools publishers need to run their mobile advertising business.
MoPub was launched in 2010.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- EDI in China: Developing a Strategy for B2B Integration Success IBM solutions for EDI have helped companies across the globe securely connect and build partner communities.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Polycom Virtual Meeting Rooms Video The conference room is the hub for group collaboration. With Polycom, you can extend the productivity and efficiency benefits of face-to-face meetings beyond...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All E-business White Papers | Webcasts