China frees journalist jailed based on Yahoo-provided email
Shi Tao had originally been sentenced for 10 years for leaking state secrets
IDG News Service - A Chinese journalist who was jailed because of incriminating email records provided by Yahoo has been freed by local authorities after serving over eight years in prison.
Shi Tao, a former reporter and editor of a Chinese newspaper, was released 15 months before finishing his 10-year sentence, said humans rights and literature advocacy group PEN International on Saturday. It is unclear why he was released early.
He was arrested in 2004 after sending out an email that detailed upcoming Chinese government restrictions on the local media in the run up to the 15th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. The email was sent using a Yahoo Mail account, and its information was posted anonymously on a website based in New York focused on promoting democracy in China.
Yahoo agreed to give up Shi's email account information to Chinese authorities, who were tracking the source of the information. It resulted in Shi receiving a 10-year prison sentence for leaking state secrets.
In its defense, Yahoo said it was following Chinese laws in handing over Shi's email records. The company's actions, however, drew criticism from human rights groups and even U.S. lawmakers, who opened an investigation in 2007 over Yahoo's handling of the case.
During the congressional hearings, Yahoo apologized for the incident and said it was working to help release Shi.
Since then, Yahoo's presence in China has greatly diminished. At the start of this month, Yahoo's Internet portal for the country went offline, as part of a strategy change by e-commerce giant Alibaba Group, which controls the Yahoo brand name in China. Yahoo's mail and music services for the country have also closed down.
On Sunday, Voice of America reported that Shi had returned home to the Chinese city of Yinchuan, but declined to speak to the media.
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
If you think getting it right from day one is always what matters, you probably haven't been following technology too closely.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Bring Networks and Applications Closer--Cisco ONE
- A series of sweeping trends is placing new requirements on the tried-and-true network model--requiring network infrastructure and applications to communicate. Get the open...
- Lippis Research Reviews the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X
- In this Lippis Report Research Note, Lippis Research reviews the latest edition of the "most popular access switch on the planet" -- the...
- Design Guide--Scaling Up to a Campus-Wide LAN
- Is it time to scale your network environment to a campus wired LAN? Here's the framework you need to set up your LAN...
- Comprehensive Security: Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- With a rich and comprehensive set of security features, Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches can help you address networking megatrends such...
- Be Energy Efficient--The Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- How much energy could be saved if all 230 million Layer 2 and 3 fixed managed switch ports sold in 2012 were as... All Government IT White Papers
- Modernizing SAP environments with minimum risk - a path to Big Data Hear from top IDC analyst, Richard Villars, about the path you can start taking now to enable your organization to get the benefits...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for SAP HANA® Overview video from DJ Long about the new Vblock Specialized System for SAP HANA®.
- The Power of the Citrix Mobility Solution, XenMobile Does everything become a smartphone? Or does the smartphone begin to do everything? How can we afford to support BYOD? Rather, how can...
- BYOD Happens: How to Secure Mobility How to navigate the journey of securing mobility, including the BYOD corruption of IT, the top ten mobility strategies, and the mobility management...
- Fighting Fraud Videos: IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager Short videos about IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager (IIM) for Fraud. IIM optimizes the investigation of fraud for customers across many industries in both...
- All Government IT Webcasts
Does your organization offer extensive benefits, cool perks, competitive salaries, opportunities for training and advancement? Then get it recognized!
Nominate your company or another deserving organization for Computerworld's 2014 Best Places to Work in IT list now through Dec. 20, 2013.