Samsung's Note 3 has bigger screen, better performance in lighter package
The smartphone arrived in the U.S. later this year
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics' Galaxy Note 3 has faster processors, a bigger screen with better resolution, and more RAM than its predecessor, yet it is thinner and lighter.
The smartphone-and-stylus combination appeared at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin, the third year in a row that Samsung has unveiled a new member of its Note range there. When Samsung launched the first Note in 2011, the form factor had its detractors. But Samsung has managed to create a new product category in which it now faces stiff competition from the likes of Sony and LG Electronics.
The Note's screen size has grown from 5.3 inches in the first version to 5.5 inches and now 5.7 inches on the latest Note 3, which has a 1,920 x 1,080 pixel resolution. While the screen is larger, Samsung has still managed to make the newcomer lighter than the Note II -- 168 grams versus 182.5 grams. The Note 3 is also a bit thinner at 8.3 millimeters. The capacity of the battery has increased from 3,100mAh to 3,200mAh, and there is now 3GB of RAM.
The LTE version of the device is powered by a quad-core processor running at 2.3GHz, while the 3G version uses Samsung's own Exynos 5 Octa processor, which has four ARM Cortex-A15 processors running at 1.9GHz and four additional Cortex-A7 cores at 1.3 GHz. Samsung didn't elaborate on where each model will be available, but there are now over 200 commercial LTE networks whose operators will likely want the LTE model. Samsung has implemented so-called LTE Category 4, which offers theoretical peak download speeds of 150Mbps on compatible networks.
The Note 3 can record 4K or Ultra HD videos at 30 frames per second (fps) using its 13-megapixel camera. This year's IFA show is expected to see a number of other new devices able to record 4K video: Acer has already announced a smartphone, the Liquid S2, with the capability.
The Note 3's camera can also shoot full HD video at 60 fps, or at 120 fps for slow-motion playback. The phone also has a 2-megapixel camera on the front.
Buyers can choose between 32GB or 64GB of integrated storage -- Samsung will no longer offer a 16GB version -- but there is also a MicroSD card slot for additional storage.
The Note 3 runs Android 4.3, on top of which Samsung has added its own features including a user interface to take advantage of the S Pen stylus.
Samsung observed that consumers didn't really use the pen, except for navigation and clicking on things, so the company has tried to make it easier to use. An S Pen function panel, called "Air Command" appears when the pen is removed from its holder and has short cuts to features such as S Finder or Pen Window.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts