Apple slates Sept. 10 event as new iPhone expectations grow
Apple is expected to launch an iPhone 5 successor and perhaps other products
IDG News Service - Apple will likely announce a new iPhone, and perhaps other new products, on Sept. 10, as fans of the company hunger for dazzling displays of innovation.
The invite for the event, to be held on Apple's Cupertino campus, promises that "this should brighten everyone's day," hinting that it may launch more than just the iPhone 5 successor. Rumors have been swirling about Apple launching a new watch, or perhaps even a new TV.
There is also speculation that Apple could unveil a simpler, cheaper version of the iPhone. iPhone shipments have come under pressure in recent quarters as competition increases with Samsung and other Android phone makers.
When Apple launched the iPhone 5 last year, some company fans felt underwhelmed because the smartphone did not carry breakthrough features. Investors have questioned the company's ability to be innovative, and the company's CEO Tim Cook earlier this year said the company would launch "new product categories" during the fall season this year through 2014.
Apple last week introduced a new iPhone trade-in program that lets consumers take their old iPhone to an Apple store and receive a credit on the purchase of a new one. Walmart has also slashed the price on its website of the latest iPhone 5 to $98 with a two-year contract.
It's less clear what other new products Apple may introduce. For years it has been predicted that Apple would launch a new TV set with breakthrough interaction features. More recently, there have been rumors about Apple developing a watch with the iOS operating system as the company looks to enter the wearable computing market.
- Mac Pro shortage sets record as worst Mac production debacle
- Apple slates WWDC for June 2-6, sets up ticket lottery
- Apple patches Safari's Pwn2Own vulnerability, two-dozen other critical bugs
- Microsoft's free OneNote vaults to top of Mac App Store chart
- Apple discounts iPhone 5C 8%-9% in five markets via storage cuts
- Apple hands stock worth $12.1M to top execs in retention deal
- Hands on: Apple's Mac Pro is the fastest Mac ever
- Apple CFO to retire in September after he cashes in $53M stock award
- Apple's CarPlay to spark mobile apps war in your car
- Apple retires Snow Leopard from support, leaves 1 in 5 Macs vulnerable to attacks
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts