Lenovo's ThinkPad T440 packs dual batteries, runs up to 17 hours
The new Thinkpads will be available worldwide in September
IDG News Service - Lenovo has introduced the ThinkPad T440, a laptop that comes with two batteries to provide up to 17 hours running time, the company said Tuesday.
The PC maker also introduced the ThinkPad X240, which also packs two batteries and gives up to 10 hours battery life.
Both product lines have one replaceable battery and one internal battery that can't be replaced. The replaceable battery can be changed without powering down, since the internal battery keeps the laptop running, Lenovo said.
The T440 has a 14-inch screen and starts at $899, while a similar, lighter model, the T440s, starts at $1,049. The laptops come with a choice of touch- or non-touch screen, both high-definition, and the OS options include Windows 8 or 7, Lenovo said. The laptops will be available worldwide starting in September.
The T440 and T440s both have an internal 3-cell battery, and a choice of a 3-cell or 6-cell replaceable battery that attaches at the base. The laptops are lighter than their predecessors despite having two batteries, according to Lenovo.
The T440s weighs 1.54 kilograms, compared with 1.76-kilogram for the existing T430s. It's made partly from carbon fiber, making it lighter than the new T440, which weighs around 1.8-kilograms. Both new models are 21-mm thick, an improvement from the T430s, which are 26mm thick.
The laptops run Intel "Haswell" Core processors. They come with up to 1TB of hard-drive storage or a 512GB solid-state drive (SSD), and up to 12GB of RAM. Ports include VGA, Mini-DisplayPort, mini-SD, USB 3.0 and Ethernet. The touchpad has been redesigned, though the red trackpoint navigation button within the keyboard has been retained.
The X240 has a 12.5-inch screen, weighs around 1.34Kg and starts at $1,099. It can be configured with a Haswell processor, 8GB of RAM, and either a 1TB hard drive or a smaller SSD. Lenovo didn't provide a capacity for the SSD. The X240 will be available in September.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts