Lenovo's ThinkPad T440 packs dual batteries, runs up to 17 hours
The new Thinkpads will be available worldwide in September
IDG News Service - Lenovo has introduced the ThinkPad T440, a laptop that comes with two batteries to provide up to 17 hours running time, the company said Tuesday.
The PC maker also introduced the ThinkPad X240, which also packs two batteries and gives up to 10 hours battery life.
Both product lines have one replaceable battery and one internal battery that can't be replaced. The replaceable battery can be changed without powering down, since the internal battery keeps the laptop running, Lenovo said.
The T440 has a 14-inch screen and starts at $899, while a similar, lighter model, the T440s, starts at $1,049. The laptops come with a choice of touch- or non-touch screen, both high-definition, and the OS options include Windows 8 or 7, Lenovo said. The laptops will be available worldwide starting in September.
The T440 and T440s both have an internal 3-cell battery, and a choice of a 3-cell or 6-cell replaceable battery that attaches at the base. The laptops are lighter than their predecessors despite having two batteries, according to Lenovo.
The T440s weighs 1.54 kilograms, compared with 1.76-kilogram for the existing T430s. It's made partly from carbon fiber, making it lighter than the new T440, which weighs around 1.8-kilograms. Both new models are 21-mm thick, an improvement from the T430s, which are 26mm thick.
The laptops run Intel "Haswell" Core processors. They come with up to 1TB of hard-drive storage or a 512GB solid-state drive (SSD), and up to 12GB of RAM. Ports include VGA, Mini-DisplayPort, mini-SD, USB 3.0 and Ethernet. The touchpad has been redesigned, though the red trackpoint navigation button within the keyboard has been retained.
The X240 has a 12.5-inch screen, weighs around 1.34Kg and starts at $1,099. It can be configured with a Haswell processor, 8GB of RAM, and either a 1TB hard drive or a smaller SSD. Lenovo didn't provide a capacity for the SSD. The X240 will be available in September.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!