NIST releases draft cybersecurity framework to more public scrutiny
NIST seeks feedback from industry on common practices to secure IT systems
IDG News Service - Following through on an order earlier this year from President Obama, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is rapidly developing a set of guidelines and best practices to help organizations better secure their IT systems.
The agency released a draft of its preliminary cybersecurity framework and is seeking feedback from industry.
The agency is scheduled to release a full preliminary draft in October, for public review. It will then issue the final 1.0 version of the framework in February and continue to update the framework thereafter.
When finished, the framework will provide guidance for organizations on how to manage cybersecurity risk, "in a manner similar to financial, safety, and operational risk," the document states.
In February the White House issued an executive order tasking NIST to develop a cybersecurity framework, one based on existing standards, practices and procedures that have proven to be effective.
In July, NIST issued an outline of the framework and held a workshop in San Diego to fill in some details. This draft incorporates some of that work, and was released to gather more feedback ahead of the next workshop, to be held in Dallas starting on Sept. 11.
"The Framework complements, and does not replace, an organization's existing business or cybersecurity risk management process and cybersecurity program. Rather, the organization can use its current processes and leverage the framework to identify opportunities to improve an organization's cybersecurity risk management," the draft read.
When finished, the framework will consist of three parts. One component, called the core functions, will be a compilation of commonly practiced activities and references. The second component, the implementation tiers, provides guidance on how to manage cybersecurity risks. The third component, the framework profile, provides guidance on how to integrate the core functions within a cybersecurity risk strategy, or plan.
On Twitter, framework ideas are being submitted and discussed with the hashtag #NISTCSF.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts