Vodafone confirms talks on selling its Verizon Wireless stake
The U.K.-based carrier says there is no certainty that a deal will be reached
IDG News Service - Vodafone Group is in talks to sell back its 45% stake in Verizon Wireless to its partner in that company, Verizon Communications.
Vodafone confirmed the talks on Thursday in response to media reports that the companies were discussing a possible deal worth more than $100 billion.
"Vodafone notes the recent press speculation and confirms that it is in discussions with Verizon Communications Inc. regarding the possible disposal of Vodafone's US group whose principal asset is its 45 percent interest in Verizon Wireless. There is no certainty that an agreement will be reached," the company said in a statement on its website.
There have been reports of a possible buyout of Vodafone's minority stake in the past, with the companies reportedly unable to agree on a price. Such a deal would make Verizon the full owner of the mobile company that bears its name, which is the largest in the U.S.
Vodafone, based in the U.K., owns mobile operators in several countries and has benefited from growth at Verizon Wireless amid the economic slump in much of Europe.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!