iPhone buyback firms unruffled by Apple's trade-in plans
Quote volumes climb as early adopters prep for next month's new iPhones
Computerworld - Buyback firms today remained unconcerned about a reported Apple in-store iPhone trade-in program, saying that if accurate, it simply vindicated their business models.
"Apple [doing buyback] would be great for our business," said Anthony Scarsella, chief gadget officer at Gazelle, in an interview. "It will only add a ton of awareness to the idea of re-commerce."
Jeff Trachsel, chief marketing officer at NextWorth, agreed. "This is more a validation of our business model than anything else," Trachsel said when asked about Apple's purported plans.
Gazelle and NextWorth are two players in "re-commerce," the buying of used consumer electronics like smartphones, primarily in developed countries, then refurbishing them for resale in less affluent markets.
Their sentiments were in line with comments by re-commerce companies in June, when news first circulated that Apple would this fall begin accepting older iPhones as trade-ins for new models. On Monday, those reports intensified, with TechCrunch saying that some Apple retail stores were already running pilot programs.
Scarsella and Trachsel contrasted their programs, and others like them, with what Apple is expected to offer. Gazelle and NextWorth pay cash for used smartphones, while Apple will only offer in-store credit in the form of an Apple gift card. Both Gazelle and NextWorth accept a wide range of devices, giving consumers who want to switch from an Android-based phone a sell-back outlet.
Scarsella was the most aggressive in downplaying the threat, noting that Apple's program required that customers visit a store. "I think this could be a nightmare," said Scarsella, referring to the lines that often form outside Apple stores at the launch of a new iPhone. "With us, it's fast and easy, and you wait until you get the new one before you send the old one back."
Both Gazelle and NextWorth offer a lock-in period, a span of X days during which they guarantee a quoted price for a trade-in. Usually, that's long enough for consumers to buy a new phone, switch their number and transfer their apps and content before shipping off the old smartphone.
On Monday, Gazelle extended its usual 30-day lock-in to 50 days, or until Oct. 15. NextWorth offers a 30-day lock-in period.
Apple is expected to unveil its new iPhones on Sept. 10 and begin selling them Sept. 20.
Talk of those dates has, as usual, boosted activity on re-commerce companies' websites as consumers decide whether to sell their older iPhones before purchase prices drop further.
- The iPad's expected ebb, and the search for why
- Apple customers downsize iPhone, iPad storage in March quarter
- Apple has bigger plans than just song ID with Shazam deal
- Automakers show off in-vehicle Wi-Fi, new smartphone interfaces
- First-to-market means diddly when it comes to smartwatches
- Apple slates WWDC for June 2-6, sets up ticket lottery
- Nadella to Cook on Office revenue sharing: Drop dead
- Microsoft scraps 'Windows-first' practice, puts Office on iPad before Surface
- iOS tops Android for Web browsing in U.S. and other developed nations
- Microsoft's free OneNote vaults to top of Mac App Store chart
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Smartphones White Papers |
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!