Amazon cloud packet woes wobble Airbnb, Vine
Partial failure of a networking device caused some APIs to return errors, Amazon said Sunday
IDG News Service - Amazon Web Services resolved service problems on Sunday that caused issues for several websites, including Airbnb's booking site and Twitter's Vine video application, which rely on its computing platform.
Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), which is used by a variety of companies to host web applications, was unreachable due to a packet loss issue in the US-EAST-1 Region, referred to as an "availability zone" by Amazon. The problem started at 12:51 PM PDT and was mostly resolved by 1:42 PM PDT.
The problem caused a degradation of service in some Elastic Block Store (EBS) storage volumes, which are used in conjunction with EC2 instances. As a result, some APIs (application programming interfaces) returned error rates, Amazon said.
The partial failure of a networking device was to blame, Amazon said.
"The networking device was removed from service, and we are performing a forensic investigation to understand how it failed," AWS said. "We are continuing to work on a small number of instances and volumes that require additional maintenance before they return to normal performance."
Airbnb warned on Twitter that it was among several sites and applications that were down due to Amazon's problems.
Vine, a video editing and sharing service owned by Twitter, also advised that "We're aware of some issues affecting our servers and are working to address them now. Thanks for your patience and hang tight!" Facebook-owned Instagram, which also uses EC2, also acknowledged service problems.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts