Amazon cloud packet woes wobble Airbnb, Vine
Partial failure of a networking device caused some APIs to return errors, Amazon said Sunday
IDG News Service - Amazon Web Services resolved service problems on Sunday that caused issues for several websites, including Airbnb's booking site and Twitter's Vine video application, which rely on its computing platform.
Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), which is used by a variety of companies to host web applications, was unreachable due to a packet loss issue in the US-EAST-1 Region, referred to as an "availability zone" by Amazon. The problem started at 12:51 PM PDT and was mostly resolved by 1:42 PM PDT.
The problem caused a degradation of service in some Elastic Block Store (EBS) storage volumes, which are used in conjunction with EC2 instances. As a result, some APIs (application programming interfaces) returned error rates, Amazon said.
The partial failure of a networking device was to blame, Amazon said.
"The networking device was removed from service, and we are performing a forensic investigation to understand how it failed," AWS said. "We are continuing to work on a small number of instances and volumes that require additional maintenance before they return to normal performance."
Airbnb warned on Twitter that it was among several sites and applications that were down due to Amazon's problems.
Vine, a video editing and sharing service owned by Twitter, also advised that "We're aware of some issues affecting our servers and are working to address them now. Thanks for your patience and hang tight!" Facebook-owned Instagram, which also uses EC2, also acknowledged service problems.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!