Why you plug gadgets into the wall like a Neanderthal
An unconfirmed rumor says the still-unannounced BlackBerry Z30 will have Qi-based wireless charging. The rumor was started when the WPC included the device on its list of supporting gadgets.
Apple's various iPhones don't support wireless charging, unless you buy a separate case. Doing so adds a lot of bulk and heft to the iPhone. But it might be worth it.
Buqu Tech's Magnetyze wireless charging case for the iPhone 5 is one new option. (The company also makes similar cases for the iPhone 4 line and the Samsung Galaxy S3).
The ZENS wireless charging flip case is another option for the iPhone 5. (ZENS makes similar cases and pads for a wide variety of handset models.)
Sadly, most smartphones don't have wireless charging capability built in, or wireless charging aftermarket options.
Universal charging plates
Because of the standards wars, you have to choose between Power 2.0 and Qi universal chargers, if you want to go the wireless route. In general, however, Qi is the way to go for phones and tablets.
Energizer (you know, the bunny people) has a range of universal Qi chargers and smartphone cases.
You can also buy Qi charging plates from LG, Monster Watts, AGPtek, Esorun and others.
Some phones, such as the Nexus 4, the Nokia DT-900 and the LG WCP-300, have wireless Qi chargers that work pretty well with other Qi devices. The only problem is that they tend to be too small for charging tablets.
As you can see from my brief survey here, wireless charging is slouching toward some kind of ubiquity.
What we really need is one standard, and a handset and tablet industry that stops shipping chargers of any kind, but makes sure every device has wireless charging capability built in.
If that happened, we would be forced to embrace a new model where universal charging pads are found throughout our homes and in our offices and cars, and we would save time, money and energy because every device wouldn't come with its own dumb charger.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!