Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
The last of our three-part how-to series helps you take your Google+ experience to the next level.
Computerworld - Getting started on Google+ may be simple, but mastering the service's full potential is an art. Thanks to advanced options and third-party extensions, there's always some new way to give Google+ an extra pinch of power.
Here are 25 tips and tricks to help make your G+ experience as good as it can be.
Work faster and better
1. Put your mouse down, homey: You can get around Google+ almost exclusively by using your keyboard. In typical Google fashion, G+ is loaded with keyboard shortcuts. Just press shift + the question mark key on your keyboard when you're in the main stream view and you'll get a list of available commands.
One common command is conspicuously missing from Google+'s keyboard shortcut collection: the ability to open up the notifications window. There is a workaround: From the stream view, press the forward-slash key, press Tab twice and then press Enter. It's a bit involved, admittedly -- sort of like a secret handshake -- but if you're a keyboard shortcut nut like me, it won't take you long to get in the habit.
2. Need to get back to the top of your stream from the Google+ desktop site? You can always use your keyboard's Home key, but if you prefer a mouse-oriented approach, clicking anywhere on the top navigation bar will also take you there.
3. When you mention another Google+ user in a post or comment, type a plus sign before you start typing her name. Google+ will then give you a dropdown list of users from which you can select. Doing so will notify the person that you mentioned her; it'll also let other users hover over the person's name to learn more about her and view her profile.
Spruce up your posts
4. Google+ makes it easy to make your posts look good: Surround any text with asterisks to turn the text bold, with underscores to make it italicized, or with hyphens to give it a strikethrough effect. Those formatting commands work in comments, too.
5. Next time you're trying to find a particular type of photo from the images you've got stored on Google+, try the intelligent photo search feature. Just head over to the Photos page (you can find it in the left-hand menu) and type a term into the search box at the top of the page -- "dog," "ocean," "picnic," or any phrase that describes what's in the image you want. The system's accuracy will surprise you.
6. You may know that Google+ automatically makes animated GIFs from related images you've uploaded, but did you know you can easily find all your animated GIFs in a single place? Just search for the keyword "motion" within the Google+ Photos section to see all the GIFs G+ has generated from your photos.
7. Google+'s automatic photo enhancements work on images uploaded to Picasa, too -- even old images uploaded before G+ was around. To check out enhancements made to your Picasa photos, first be sure you've signed into Google+ from the same account you use (or used) with Picasa. Then try searching the Google+ Photos section for keywords like "motion," "hdr" or "mix" to see the enhancements in action.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts