Update: Microsoft CEO Ballmer to retire in 12 months
The company's board has created a committee to find a new CEO (see video below)
Computerworld - Steve Ballmer will retire as Microsoft CEO at some point in the next 12 months, the company said on Friday in a surprising announcement that comes weeks after he drafted a major business reorganization that's being implemented now.
"There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time," Ballmer said in an email to his employees. "My original thoughts on timing would have had my retirement happen in the middle of our company's transformation to a devices and services company. We need a CEO who will be here longer term for this new direction."
He noted that it is a time of important transformation for Microsoft. "Our new senior leadership team is amazing. The strategy we have generated is first class. Our new organization, which is centered on functions and engineering areas, is right for the opportunities and challenges ahead," Ballmer wrote.
"This is an emotional and difficult thing for me to do. I take this step in the best interests of the company I love; it is the thing outside of my family and closest friends that matters to me most," he wrote, adding that Microsoft has "all its best days ahead."
The company's board of directors has created a special committee to find his replacement.
The committee includes Microsoft founder and current chairman of the board Bill Gates and is headed by John Thompson, the board's lead independent director, Microsoft said. Both internal and external candidates will be considered.
The new CEO must turn Microsoft into a successful devices and services company and must work with the company's leadership team to achieve this in an highly competitive industry, Microsoft said.
Ballmer has been CEO Microsoft since 2000. He joined Microsoft in 1980 and was the company's first business manager. After that, he held different roles in the company including senior vice president of sales and support, senior vice president of systems software and vice president of marketing.
Loek Essers is Amsterdam Correspondent and covers online privacy, intellectual property, open-source and online payment issues for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to email@example.com
- Microsoft again writes off Surface inventory, renews profitability doubts
- 'Nadella Effect' makes Ballmer $2.8B richer
- Microsoft reveals bankruptcy of devices strategy by dumping Nokia feature phones
- Microsoft may drag out layoffs for a year
- Surface survives Microsoft cuts, but tablet strategy remains muddled
- As it lays off workers, Microsoft also kills its low-end Nokia X smartphones
- How Microsoft announces layoffs will show the company's PR IQ
- Why Microsoft isn't spooked by the Apple-IBM alliance
- Microsoft boosts OneDrive storage to free terabyte
- Microsoft plans price war to stymie Chromebook growth
Read more about IT Leadership in Computerworld's IT Leadership Topic Center.
- IT Skills Proficiency Tool This tool helps you determine if your team has the right skill sets and what gaps need to be filled. By evaluating your...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- Enabling Unified Service Delivery Management With the nGeniusONE Platform Today's IT organizations manage diverse business services comprising a host of applications running on many server farms within the data center.
- Transform Your Data Center from Basic to Strategic by Increasing Operational Efficiency and Optimizing Intelligence Find out how data center and facilities management are able to use DCIM solutions and a pioneering "zone" approach to bridge the information...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Zoning in on Energy and Physical Infrastructure Management In this Webcast you will learn how to develop and execute a strategy to optimize the energy efficiency of your data center. All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts