Self-driving carmakers will have to pry steering wheel from some cold, dead hands
"There are a lot of people who enjoy driving under the right circumstances, but there's also a lot of driving that's grunt work. Under those circumstances, the challenge is to stay awake and not bump into the cars in front of you," said David Alexander, an analyst at Navigant Research.
More importantly, its backers say autonomous car tech will reduce accidents and enable those who are physically unable to drive today to get behind a wheel - so to speak.
"[Autonomous auto technology] has the potential to change the very nature of vehicle ownership. I believe it will bring independence to people, not take it away," Alexander said.
95 million self-driving cars a year
A Navigant report released this week claimed that by 2035, more than 95 million self-driving cars will be sold worldwide every year. In 2035, sales of autonomous vehicles will represent 75% of all light-duty vehicle sold, the Navigant report states.
Alexander said he's aware of the negative online comments about autonomous cars, but compared them to people that rallied against the automatic transmission in its early days.
The public view of automated cars, Alexander said, suffers from misperceptions.
For example, if a driver wants to take the wheel, they'll likely be able to disable the automated function. Also, many technologies now in development are aimed more at offering assistance to drivers, not fully automating vehicles.
Today, there are predictive emergency braking, adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning systems that act to assist drivers for safety, but do not take away a person's ability to control the overall driver experience.
"What's important to understand is the definition of autonomous vehicle," Alexander said. "It's an autonomous functionality available in the car. It's not going to mean the cars will be completely automatic and you're not going to be able to do anything. It's a bit like having cruise control in the car, but not everybody uses them."
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cosmonauts deploy nanosatellites during spacewalk
- Scientists create self-assembling, working robots
- When astronauts breathe on Mars, they'll thank MIT professor
- Big tech firms back Wi-FAR for remote broadband
- NASA's Mars rover Curiosity closes in on ultimate destination
- Qi wireless charging spec gets more flexibility with distance extension
- NASA upgrades humanoid robot in space
- NASA: Finding life on other planets is within our grasp
- Money talks, and that's all quantum maker D-Wave has to say
- 45 years after moon landing, NASA looks to next giant leap
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!