Using data analysis and visualization tools, one P&G business unit reduced inventory in its supply chain by 25% and saved millions of dollars.
Data+ Awards: Procter & Gamble puts worldwide BI data in executives' hands
Executives navigate global markets with BI visualization.
Computerworld - Executives at consumer goods giant Procter & Gamble, which owns 300 brands sold worldwide, must constantly make important decisions on business issues ranging from branding strategies to supply chain management.
A bad decision -- one based on outdated information or inadequate analysis -- could cost the company millions in wasted spending or lost sales. But until recently, business analysis was conducted mainly by sifting through stacks of printed reports and electronic spreadsheets.
So in 2008, P&G's Global Business Services organization began shopping for business intelligence software. The goal was to give decision-makers an easy-to-use BI tool and access to near-real-time data so they could do predictive analytics and answer "what if" questions.
Another objective was to find a system that enabled people in P&G offices all over the world attend the same meetings and view the same data.
"Senior executives had been limited to running the business by looking in the rearview mirror, and we wanted a forward-looking focus with better speed and quality of the decision-making," says Alan Falkingham, the director of business intelligence and analytics at P&G.
The BI initiative resulted in the construction of futuristic meeting rooms that P&G calls Business Spheres: oval conference rooms with white walls equipped with two 32- by 8-foot screens capable of displaying charts, graphs, heat maps and other visuals. P&G analysts use Tibco's Spotfire BI tool to study data and put together reports that they present to managers in meetings in the Spheres. Spotfire can drill down into areas of interest to attendees or create "what if" scenarios to illustrate the results of different strategies.
Doreen Bayliff, vice president of P&G's North America oral care business, says she and her leadership team use the Sphere two or three times a month to keep on top of market trends. "We use data in real time to monitor the health of the business externally versus the competition," says Bayliff. "The Business Sphere helps us make more holistic and agile decisions."
Hildreth is a veteran IT writer based in Waltham, Mass. She covers enterprise technologies, from BI and CRM to social media and IT management.
More Data+ 2013
- Catalist delivers critical voter data to campaign workers
- Constant Contact culls trends from billions of emails
- Express Scripts helps lower prescription costs
- Harvard's Clean Energy Project gets a massive speed boost
- Ingram Micro nets 135% increase in service renewals with BI
- Intel uses BI to quickly contain and remediate security threats
- Florida youth welfare agency pinpoints aid with BI
- LiveRail delivers detailed metrics on ad spends
- Novation helps hospitals get better deals on supplies
- Procter & Gamble puts global BI data in executives' hands
- BI helps Quintiles speed new drugs to market
- Vanguard Health delivers $62 million to the bottom line
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Using Packet Analysis for Quality of Experience Monitoring In this whitepaper, we will discuss what Packet Analysis is, some of the useful information it can provide, and how this info can...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts