LiveRail's initial investment of $20,000 to $30,000 during the first year included ramp-up and deployment, and although the company doesn't bill customers for the analytics-powered reports, CTO Andrei Dunca says the fact that the reports are available helps attract and retain customers.
Data+ Awards: LiveRail delivers detailed metrics on ad spending
Customers get the most from ad dollars with reams of metrics.
Computerworld - LiveRail provides a single interface to publishers so they can manage direct advertising campaigns and monetize their video content. It also provides video ad networks with a platform to manage and buy video advertising campaigns. It delivers more than 3 billion impressions each month.
Given such volume, the San Francisco-based company had a huge amount of data that it knew could provide insight into the effectiveness of these advertising efforts.
Company co-founder and CTO Andrei Dunca says LiveRail needed technology that could handle the volume of data, provide fast load speeds and reduce storage needs through compression. To do that, it built an analytics system based on Apache Hadoop Hive and Infobright Enterprise Edition.
Whenever LiveRail serves an ad, it tracks metrics, such as whether the commercial ran in full. LiveRail also compiles information for customers on when and how often particular ads appear on websites.
With such information, a company advertising a product can know how well a particular ad performs on different websites. That allows the advertiser to better target its ads to achieve higher engagement. Similarly, the publishers that run ads can use the information to make better decisions about ad placements, which in turn helps them attract and retain advertisers.
With the analytics system in place, LiveRail clients can access ad hoc reports or request more scheduled reports with more specific, and more complex, data sets. Dunca says that the data is crucial to LiveRail customers, which often use it to bill their own customers.
Forrester analyst Susan Bidel says drilling down into such data does indeed translate into better financial performance. Speaking generally, she says publishers have varying levels of appreciation for the value of such data, and those that use it get better returns.
"It better targets ads, reduces waste and increases revenue," she says.
More Data+ 2013
- Catalist delivers critical voter data to campaign workers
- Constant Contact culls trends from billions of emails
- Express Scripts helps lower prescription costs
- Harvard's Clean Energy Project gets a massive speed boost
- Ingram Micro nets 135% increase in service renewals with BI
- Intel uses BI to quickly contain and remediate security threats
- Florida youth welfare agency pinpoints aid with BI
- LiveRail delivers detailed metrics on ad spends
- Novation helps hospitals get better deals on supplies
- Procter & Gamble puts global BI data in executives' hands
- BI helps Quintiles speed new drugs to market
- Vanguard Health delivers $62 million to the bottom line
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts