LiveRail's initial investment of $20,000 to $30,000 during the first year included ramp-up and deployment, and although the company doesn't bill customers for the analytics-powered reports, CTO Andrei Dunca says the fact that the reports are available helps attract and retain customers.
Data+ Awards: LiveRail delivers detailed metrics on ad spending
Customers get the most from ad dollars with reams of metrics.
Computerworld - LiveRail provides a single interface to publishers so they can manage direct advertising campaigns and monetize their video content. It also provides video ad networks with a platform to manage and buy video advertising campaigns. It delivers more than 3 billion impressions each month.
Given such volume, the San Francisco-based company had a huge amount of data that it knew could provide insight into the effectiveness of these advertising efforts.
Company co-founder and CTO Andrei Dunca says LiveRail needed technology that could handle the volume of data, provide fast load speeds and reduce storage needs through compression. To do that, it built an analytics system based on Apache Hadoop Hive and Infobright Enterprise Edition.
Whenever LiveRail serves an ad, it tracks metrics, such as whether the commercial ran in full. LiveRail also compiles information for customers on when and how often particular ads appear on websites.
With such information, a company advertising a product can know how well a particular ad performs on different websites. That allows the advertiser to better target its ads to achieve higher engagement. Similarly, the publishers that run ads can use the information to make better decisions about ad placements, which in turn helps them attract and retain advertisers.
With the analytics system in place, LiveRail clients can access ad hoc reports or request more scheduled reports with more specific, and more complex, data sets. Dunca says that the data is crucial to LiveRail customers, which often use it to bill their own customers.
Forrester analyst Susan Bidel says drilling down into such data does indeed translate into better financial performance. Speaking generally, she says publishers have varying levels of appreciation for the value of such data, and those that use it get better returns.
"It better targets ads, reduces waste and increases revenue," she says.
More Data+ 2013
- Catalist delivers critical voter data to campaign workers
- Constant Contact culls trends from billions of emails
- Express Scripts helps lower prescription costs
- Harvard's Clean Energy Project gets a massive speed boost
- Ingram Micro nets 135% increase in service renewals with BI
- Intel uses BI to quickly contain and remediate security threats
- Florida youth welfare agency pinpoints aid with BI
- LiveRail delivers detailed metrics on ad spends
- Novation helps hospitals get better deals on supplies
- Procter & Gamble puts global BI data in executives' hands
- BI helps Quintiles speed new drugs to market
- Vanguard Health delivers $62 million to the bottom line
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts