The system showed that early childhood learning programs save the county about $6,179 per student per year. Also, the JWB found 2,032 children to add to its school preparation programs.
Data+ Awards: Florida youth welfare agency pinpoints aid with BI
Pinellas County agency gives more assistance with fewer dollars.
Computerworld - Five years ago, the Pinellas County Juvenile Welfare Board (JWB) was facing a budget shortfall. A meltdown in real estate values had diminished the property tax revenue that the Clearwater, Fla.-based agency depends upon for funding. So the JWB developed a BI initiative to assess the value of each program it offers.
"The downturn in the economy was catastrophic to our budget. We needed to know the best use of our money," explains Michael Warner, the JWB's lead technology analyst.
The JWB selected Roambi's business intelligence tool, in large part for its ability to provide a user-friendly BI and reporting layer that would encourage nontechnical JWB staffers to use it, says Warner.
Data from community programs that the board funds is put into the JWB database, as is data from outside sources such as the juvenile justice system, census records, street maps and school records. Because most of that data was already entered into the JWB's systems, integration wasn't a major challenge.
In fact, the biggest challenge was narrowing down the list of metrics and parameters to track, says Warner. Each review and trial of the system spurred the JWB staffers to think of more things they wanted to know, so questions began to multiply.
"Our questions kept changing," he notes. "Using BI can be very transformative."
Among other things, that process led to the development of an index to measure program successes vis-a-vis various factors that put children at risk for dropping out of school. One metric that's tracked is the number of children who can't read at or near a third-grade level by third grade, because reading level at an early age has been found to correlate with the likelihood of incarceration later in life, says Warner.
To make it easier for nontechnical JWB professionals to use the system and understand the data and trends, a visual analysis tool from SpatialKey was added. With it, users can, for example, create heat maps that highlight populations of high-risk kids and identify possible contributing factors, such as distance from recreational facilities.
"Now we're using the data to paint an incredibly accurate picture of at-risk children and families in Pinellas County," says Ben Kirby, communications manager for the JWB. "This allows the board to make informed decisions."
Hildreth is a veteran IT writer based in Waltham, Mass. She covers enterprise technologies, from BI and CRM to social media and IT management.
More Data+ 2013
- Catalist delivers critical voter data to campaign workers
- Constant Contact culls trends from billions of emails
- Express Scripts helps lower prescription costs
- Harvard's Clean Energy Project gets a massive speed boost
- Ingram Micro nets 135% increase in service renewals with BI
- Intel uses BI to quickly contain and remediate security threats
- Florida youth welfare agency pinpoints aid with BI
- LiveRail delivers detailed metrics on ad spends
- Novation helps hospitals get better deals on supplies
- Procter & Gamble puts global BI data in executives' hands
- BI helps Quintiles speed new drugs to market
- Vanguard Health delivers $62 million to the bottom line
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts