The Quintiles Infosario system allows researchers to revisit decisions made earlier within the same drug trial. That's a big benefit, says Quintiles CIO Richard Thomas, because "clinical trials take six, seven years, so feedback loops collect a lot of data along the way."
Data+ Awards: BI helps Quintiles speed new drugs to market
Big data analysis cuts costs, time to market for pharmaceuticals.
Computerworld - Developing a new drug can cost millions of dollars and require years of research. The quicker a pharmaceutical company gets a product to market, the less time and money it spends on R&D and the faster it can begin to earn a return on its investment.
Technologies that can speed up a drug's trial period and more quickly analyze its odds of success can have a huge impact on the bottom line.
Quintiles knows that firsthand. The $4.8 billion company provides clinical research services to the pharmaceutical industry. Among other things, Quintiles plans and monitors clinical trials, recruits patients for trials and submits materials to regulatory agencies.
For the past four years the Durham, N.C.-based company has worked to create an integrated suite of software modules to handle all phases of drug research, development and trials.
Its software platform, Infosario, integrates the data and processes associated with a drug's life cycle and includes a data engine to collect, clean and prepare data for analysis. The data can be combined with clinical research data and information from other sources to provide predictive analysis.
Formally launched in 2010, Infosario uses elements from Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, Siebel's CRM system, SAS Analytics, Microsoft SQL Server and Informatica's Master Data Management system, as well as Tibco's Spotfire data discovery and visualization tool. At its core is the Quintiles Data Factory, which contains the data operations and collection tools for extracting and organizing clinical and operational data from other repositories.
An executive at a Quintiles customer, a major pharmaceutical company, notes that the traditional method of planning a drug trial involves examining data from prior trials to develop the best approach. Infosario allows the company to design drug trials more quickly and effectively.
Hildreth is a veteran IT writer in Waltham, Mass. She covers enterprise technologies, from BI and CRM to social media and IT management.
More Data+ 2013
- Catalist delivers critical voter data to campaign workers
- Constant Contact culls trends from billions of emails
- Express Scripts helps lower prescription costs
- Harvard's Clean Energy Project gets a massive speed boost
- Ingram Micro nets 135% increase in service renewals with BI
- Intel uses BI to quickly contain and remediate security threats
- Florida youth welfare agency pinpoints aid with BI
- LiveRail delivers detailed metrics on ad spends
- Novation helps hospitals get better deals on supplies
- Procter & Gamble puts global BI data in executives' hands
- BI helps Quintiles speed new drugs to market
- Vanguard Health delivers $62 million to the bottom line
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Using Packet Analysis for Quality of Experience Monitoring In this whitepaper, we will discuss what Packet Analysis is, some of the useful information it can provide, and how this info can...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts