Launched in 2012, ExpressPath already has more than 3 million patients through its member organizations. Those patients receive an average savings of 10% to 15% on specialty drugs through ExpressPath, and approval times have been reduced from as long as 72 hours to as little 12 hours.
Data+ Awards: Express Scripts helps drive down the cost of prescriptions
BI platform helps doctors and patients find lower-cost medications.
Computerworld - Patients with complex health conditions such as cancer or multiple sclerosis can spend $6,000 to $100,000 per year on "specialty" prescriptions, which aren't covered by traditional prescription drug plans but by more complex and unmanaged medical insurance plans.
St. Louis-based Express Scripts wants to take a bite out of those astronomical costs by combining its pharmacy knowledge with extensive data it collects from its patients to find the best medications for each patient and the lowest possible prices.
What's more, its ExpressPath platform can manage 100% of a client's drug costs regardless of whether the medications are covered under the patient's pharmacy or medical insurance plan, a feature not previously available in the healthcare industry.
Physicians connect to the platform through a portal that can be accessed via mobile device or desktop and can determine how much a prescription will cost before the purchase.
"Physicians are able to see all the other conditions and prescriptions on this patient," explains Gary Wimberly, senior vice president and CIO at Express Scripts. "[The system is] able to interact with them [to determine] the right medication and the right channel -- whether through a clinic, home infusion or specialty mail-order pharmacy. It optimizes both the care for the patient and the medication."
"It gives our providers unlimited access to getting authorization requests," even at night and on weekends, says Melinda Pollard, manager of pharmacy operations at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.
"We're attacking $8 billion a year in wasted specialty [spending]," Wimberly says. "If we get true adoption, we can drive $8 billion a year out of the healthcare system."
More Data+ 2013
- Catalist delivers critical voter data to campaign workers
- Constant Contact culls trends from billions of emails
- Express Scripts helps lower prescription costs
- Harvard's Clean Energy Project gets a massive speed boost
- Ingram Micro nets 135% increase in service renewals with BI
- Intel uses BI to quickly contain and remediate security threats
- Florida youth welfare agency pinpoints aid with BI
- LiveRail delivers detailed metrics on ad spends
- Novation helps hospitals get better deals on supplies
- Procter & Gamble puts global BI data in executives' hands
- BI helps Quintiles speed new drugs to market
- Vanguard Health delivers $62 million to the bottom line
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts