Launched in 2012, ExpressPath already has more than 3 million patients through its member organizations. Those patients receive an average savings of 10% to 15% on specialty drugs through ExpressPath, and approval times have been reduced from as long as 72 hours to as little 12 hours.
Data+ Awards: Express Scripts helps drive down the cost of prescriptions
BI platform helps doctors and patients find lower-cost medications.
Computerworld - Patients with complex health conditions such as cancer or multiple sclerosis can spend $6,000 to $100,000 per year on "specialty" prescriptions, which aren't covered by traditional prescription drug plans but by more complex and unmanaged medical insurance plans.
St. Louis-based Express Scripts wants to take a bite out of those astronomical costs by combining its pharmacy knowledge with extensive data it collects from its patients to find the best medications for each patient and the lowest possible prices.
What's more, its ExpressPath platform can manage 100% of a client's drug costs regardless of whether the medications are covered under the patient's pharmacy or medical insurance plan, a feature not previously available in the healthcare industry.
Physicians connect to the platform through a portal that can be accessed via mobile device or desktop and can determine how much a prescription will cost before the purchase.
"Physicians are able to see all the other conditions and prescriptions on this patient," explains Gary Wimberly, senior vice president and CIO at Express Scripts. "[The system is] able to interact with them [to determine] the right medication and the right channel -- whether through a clinic, home infusion or specialty mail-order pharmacy. It optimizes both the care for the patient and the medication."
"It gives our providers unlimited access to getting authorization requests," even at night and on weekends, says Melinda Pollard, manager of pharmacy operations at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.
"We're attacking $8 billion a year in wasted specialty [spending]," Wimberly says. "If we get true adoption, we can drive $8 billion a year out of the healthcare system."
More Data+ 2013
- Catalist delivers critical voter data to campaign workers
- Constant Contact culls trends from billions of emails
- Express Scripts helps lower prescription costs
- Harvard's Clean Energy Project gets a massive speed boost
- Ingram Micro nets 135% increase in service renewals with BI
- Intel uses BI to quickly contain and remediate security threats
- Florida youth welfare agency pinpoints aid with BI
- LiveRail delivers detailed metrics on ad spends
- Novation helps hospitals get better deals on supplies
- Procter & Gamble puts global BI data in executives' hands
- BI helps Quintiles speed new drugs to market
- Vanguard Health delivers $62 million to the bottom line
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Using Packet Analysis for Quality of Experience Monitoring In this whitepaper, we will discuss what Packet Analysis is, some of the useful information it can provide, and how this info can...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts