Google speeds up Chromecast shipments, but inventory remains low
Google said it will now ship units in up to two weeks for orders placed via its Play Store, but other retailers can't keep up with demand
IDG News Service - Google has reduced the time buyers have to wait to receive the US$35 Chromecast TV device, saying it will ship orders in two weeks or less.
The Chromecast order page on Google's Play Store states that units will ship by Sept. 3. Earlier, Google did not provide a specific date and said units would ship within three weeks from the order date, but a shortage led to cancelled orders and delayed shipments.
Demand for the device remains strong though supplies remain insufficient. A Best Buy store on 5th Avenue in New York City on Tuesday received 50 Chromecast devices from Google, and the units sold out in a matter of hours, according to a store salesman.
Google is supplying devices to Best Buy stores in trickles. Most stores in New York were out of stock on Tuesday, but they're getting larger shipments. Initially, stores got fewer than 10 units at a time.
One Best Buy outlet on 23rd Street in New York last week received only one Chromecast unit. Meanwhile, Best Buy's online store is not taking orders, saying that it's out of stock.
The Chromecast is also being sold through Amazon.com, which is currently out of stock. Amazon earlier said users would have to wait until the end of October for some Chromecast units to ship, but later told The Wall Street Journal that the note was sent in error.
Google announced Chromecast in July. The thumb-sized device plugs into a TV's HDMI port and brings smart TV functionality such as Netflix and YouTube streaming to larger screens. The device's functionality is limited only to a few online services, but its low price has made it an attractive buy. It competes with Roku's Roku 3 and Apple's Apple TV, both of which are $99.
Google declined to comment on Chromecast supplies.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts