IT pros won't get Windows 8.1 until October
This time around, IT professionals will have to wait to get the new Microsoft OS at the same time as consumers
Webwereld.nl - IT professionals won't get their hands on Windows 8.1 until October, getting the release at the same time as consumers rather than in advance as has previously been the practice.
Windows 8.1 RTM, for "release to manufacturing," that is due to be released later this month is only meant for PC manufacturers, Microsoft confirmed on Wednesday.
Subscribers to the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) and TechNet as well as enterprise customers with Volume Licensing (VL) agreements all have to wait for the official release on Oct. 18, Microsoft said in a statement given to Dutch IDG publication Webwereld.
"Windows 8.1 will be available through the store at the same time globally," said a Microsoft spokeswoman in an email, adding that availability will start at 12:00 a.m. on October 18th in New Zealand.
In the past, administrators, developers and corporate customers were able to get new Microsoft software within a few days after the RTM release through a paid TechNet or MSDN account or via VL contract. Such a VL license gives companies access to most supported Microsoft software, including new releases.
RTM releases are not final releases though. In practice, Microsoft updates and patches its software between the RTM release and General Availability (GA).
Windows 8.1 is the first big update for Windows 8 and it will be available for free through the Windows Store. Available at the same time will be version 8.1 of Windows RT for ARM processors.
The new version brings several improvements to Microsoft's current OS. Some noteworthy changes are the option to boot directly to the familiar desktop interface, the return of the Start button, and Internet Explorer 11 which has DRM-support for HTML5.
Jasper Bakker is a reporter for Dutch IDG news site Webwereld. Follow him on Twitter @jsprbkkr.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Windows White Papers | Webcasts