Cisco posts revenue, profit gains, continues push beyond networks
The company's revenue and profit were up compared with a lackluster Q4 2012
IDG News Service - Cisco Systems revenue and profit increased in the company's fourth quarter compared to a year earlier as the company continued its push to transcend its networking roots and become the world's top IT company.
Revenue rose 6 percent to US$12.4 billion in the quarter, which ended July 27. Net income rose even more steeply, up more than 18 percent to $2.3 billion.
Counted as earnings per share, the company's profit went up almost 17 percent to reach $0.42.
"My confidence in our ability to be the #1 IT Company is increasing," said CEO John Chambers in a statement. "Now, more than ever, our customers and our partners want Cisco's help navigating the inconsistent global landscape successfully. They recognize the benefit of a partner who is not only the leader in their product categories, but can bring technologies and solutions together in an architecture to lower operating costs, reduce time to results, and future proof their investments."
Last year's fourth quarter came amid widespread economic woes in Europe and cautious optimism from Cisco about signs of growth in the U.S. The company's core switching and routing business was flat during that period.
For its full fiscal year, Cisco's revenue rose 5.5 percent to $48.6 billion [b] and profit increased almost 25 percent to $1.86 per share.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts