Microsoft's SkyDrive, Outlook.com are down for some people
The problems began at around 10 a.m. US Eastern Time
IDG News Service - Microsoft's Outlook.com web mail application and SkyDrive cloud storage service are suffering a partial outage on Wednesday.
The problems began at around 10 a.m. U.S. Eastern Time and hadn't been resolved by early afternoon, according to information posted by Microsoft on its Live Status page.
The Outlook.com issue is preventing affected users from seeing all their email messages. There is also a related problem with the People contacts application in which address book change notifications may not be properly delivered to Hotmail. This is causing some customers to have out of date contacts on Outlook.com.
There are no details on what affected SkyDrive users are experiencing.
Microsoft is promising an update on the problems by 2 p.m. It's not clear how many people are affected.
A spokesman for Microsoft said via email that the problems are affecting "a small number of customers' access" to some features of the impacted products. "We are working to restore full access to the services as quickly as possible," he said.
The problems come days after Microsoft last week triumphantly announced that it had exceeded 99.9 percent uptime in each of the past four quarters for its Office 365 cloud suite, which businesses use for email, collaboration and communication.
Microsoft also said last week that it will report uptime stats for the Business, Government and Education editions of Office 365 at the end of every quarter from now on. Until now, only Office 365 customers have had access to that type of availability information.
The Office 365 components measured for uptime are Exchange, SharePoint, Lync and Office Web Apps. Some industry analysts welcomed the move towards more transparency, but said at the time that Microsoft should go further and provide more granular details, such as uptime by geography and by application, and ideally even set up a public status page like the Live Status page it has for consumer cloud applications.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts