Samsung ships curved OLED TV in US for about $9,000
Samsung's curved OLED TV is cheaper than a similar set from LG
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics America has started shipping its first curved OLED TV, pricing it at $8,999.99 and making it available through specialty retailers in the U.S.
The curvy panel on the 55-inch KN55S9C is a step away from traditional flat designs, and is also the cheapest curved TV available yet. A similar TV from LG Electronics became available at Best Buy last month for $14,999.99.
The new TV has a feature called MultiView, with the TV able to show two programs at once on the screen. Two people wearing 3D glasses can watch different full high-definition programs on the full screen, or one can watch a 2D program while the other watches a 3D program.
"The innovative MultiView feature is enabled by Samsung's 3D Active glasses, which come with built-in personal speakers providing crisp, full stereo sound. Samsung makes it seamless for viewers to switch between the two sources with the touch of a button, without changing glasses," Samsung said in a statement.
The TV is also based on OLED technology, which is considered more power-efficient than LCD. The technology allows for thinner TV sets. OLED has been under development for more than a decade.
The TV has also has other features like Smart Hub that categorizes and organizes programs under specific panels. Users will also be able to stream movies from the Internet directly to the TV.
Samsung says the new set is the first of its next-generation of TVs that will eventually reach the market.
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program In this white paper, learn how to select the right mobile devices for your organization and manage them with efficiency, flexibility and security...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!