2 Windows 8 touchscreen laptops for tight budgets
Just in time for the back-to-school crowd: If you don't want to spend much on a new laptop but need a touchscreen, try one of these under-$600 systems.
Computerworld - Back-to-school shopping season is underway.
"The month before school starts is bargain time for notebook buyers, with lots of new models and heavy discounting," says Stephen Baker, an analyst at market research firm NPD.
Students (or parents of students) who intend to buy a new Windows 8 laptop will probably be looking for one with a touchscreen. Although Microsoft's latest operating system is useable with keyboard-only systems (and the latest version, Windows 8.1, makes that even easier), a touchscreen is a definite plus. And while laptops with touchscreens tend to be expensive, there are some entry-level systems that can be had for a reasonable price.
To see how far the laptop-buying dollar could be stretched, I looked at two new and relatively inexpensive models: the Asus VivoBook V400CA and the HP Pavilion TouchSmart 14z Sleekbook. These laptops both cost less than $600, but they both have a surprising array of amenities, from midrange processors and plenty of RAM to spacious hard drives and free online storage.
In order to keep the price low, each vendor has made some compromises. For instance, HP's TouchSmart 14z offers one of the latest quad-core AMD processors, but it comes with a traditional 500GB hard drive. In contrast, the Asus VivoBook V400CA has a second-generation Intel Core i3 dual-core processor but beefs it up with a hybrid drive that combines a 500GB hard drive with a 24GB solid-state drive.
Regardless of what the vendors did to keep the prices in check, these two machines offer a lot for a little. This may be just the start for inexpensive touchscreen systems, though. Before he retired as Intel's CEO earlier this year, Paul Otellini -- during a discussion of Intel's earnings for the first quarter of 2013 -- predicted that touchscreen notebooks could be available for as little as $200 by the end of the year.
That would leave a lot more money left over for students to get books, clothes and other necessaries for the upcoming school year. (Watch for Computerworld's back-to-school tech guide, coming soon.)
What follows are the facts about -- and my opinion of -- these two low-cost but good-quality touchscreen Windows 8 laptops.
Two touch laptops: Product specs
|Asus VivoBook V400CA||HP Pavilion TouchSmart 14z Sleekbook|
|Processor||1.4GHz Intel Core i3 2365M||1.5GHz AMD A4-5000|
|Measurements (WxD)||13.3 x 9.4 in.||13.6 x 9.4 in.|
|Max. height||1.0 in.||0.9 in.|
|Weight||4.1 lb.||4.7 lb.|
|Display size||14 in.||14 in.|
|Display resolution||1366 x 768||1366 x 768|
|Graphics||Intel HD 3000 Graphics||AMD Radeon HD 8330|
|RAM installed/Max capable||4GB/8GB||4GB/8GB|
|Storage||500GB HD/24GB SSD||500GB HD|
|Ports||1 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, audio, SD card||2 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, HDMI, audio, SD card|
|Operating system||Windows 8||Windows 8|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year|
|Price||$540 to $590||$450|
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts