Salesforce.com adds premium 'Performance Edition' bundle
Analyst: Bundles carry risk since customers may not end up using all the features
IDG News Service - Salesforce.com has rolled out a new product bundle that includes even more applications than its high-end Unlimited Edition, albeit at a higher price.
The new Performance Edition provides access to Salesforce.com's sales, service and development platform software, as well as customer-lead information from Data.com, Work.com performance management software and identity management functionality.
It will be available starting Nov. 4 for $300 per user per month, compared to $250 per month for Unlimited Edition, which will still be available. Unlimited Edition customers can also upgrade to Performance Edition.
Monday's announcement comes a few weeks after the release of Sales Performance Accelerator, another product bundle aimed at making sales representatives more productive.
Whatever the case, "they are simplifying pricing and also up-bundling," said analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research.
Bundles can help companies that want to adopt a broad array of a vendor's technology save money. But there's a caveat, Wang said: "With every bundle, you don't always use everything you aspire to."
In June, Salesforce.com appointed Keith Block president and vice chairman in charge of global sales, customer support and consulting services.
Block left Oracle last year after the release of a number of instant-message conversations in which he was critical of Oracle President Mark Hurd. The messages were made public as part of a lawsuit between Hewlett-Packard and Oracle over software support for the Itanium processor.
A nearly 30-year veteran of Oracle, Block is known for his hard-charging sales style . He's being paid handsomely at Salesforce.com, with $1 million in base salary, at least $1 million in annual bonuses, and 200 hours' use of a corporate jet annually, with the opportunity to request more, according to his job offer letter, which was filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
The new bundles were in the works before Block's arrival, according to Salesforce.com spokesman Daylan Burlison. They are "part of an ongoing process based on feedback and best practices of our most successful customers," he said.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts