Salesforce.com adds premium 'Performance Edition' bundle
Analyst: Bundles carry risk since customers may not end up using all the features
IDG News Service - Salesforce.com has rolled out a new product bundle that includes even more applications than its high-end Unlimited Edition, albeit at a higher price.
The new Performance Edition provides access to Salesforce.com's sales, service and development platform software, as well as customer-lead information from Data.com, Work.com performance management software and identity management functionality.
It will be available starting Nov. 4 for $300 per user per month, compared to $250 per month for Unlimited Edition, which will still be available. Unlimited Edition customers can also upgrade to Performance Edition.
Monday's announcement comes a few weeks after the release of Sales Performance Accelerator, another product bundle aimed at making sales representatives more productive.
Whatever the case, "they are simplifying pricing and also up-bundling," said analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research.
Bundles can help companies that want to adopt a broad array of a vendor's technology save money. But there's a caveat, Wang said: "With every bundle, you don't always use everything you aspire to."
In June, Salesforce.com appointed Keith Block president and vice chairman in charge of global sales, customer support and consulting services.
Block left Oracle last year after the release of a number of instant-message conversations in which he was critical of Oracle President Mark Hurd. The messages were made public as part of a lawsuit between Hewlett-Packard and Oracle over software support for the Itanium processor.
A nearly 30-year veteran of Oracle, Block is known for his hard-charging sales style . He's being paid handsomely at Salesforce.com, with $1 million in base salary, at least $1 million in annual bonuses, and 200 hours' use of a corporate jet annually, with the opportunity to request more, according to his job offer letter, which was filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
The new bundles were in the works before Block's arrival, according to Salesforce.com spokesman Daylan Burlison. They are "part of an ongoing process based on feedback and best practices of our most successful customers," he said.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts