Asus kills its line of Windows RT tablets
CEO's comments confirm earlier direction in favor of Intel-based Windows tablets
Computerworld - Asustek CEO Jerry Shen confirmed today that his company will no longer produce Windows RT tablets.
"It's not only our opinion; the industry sentiment is also that Windows RT has not been successful," Shen told the Wall Street Journal Friday at a Taipei earnings conference.
Asus now makes the VivoTab RT tablet, which runs on an ARM processor. In the future, it plans to focus on Windows 8 tablets that run on X86 chips from Intel because those tablets have compatibility with older Windows apps that RT lacks, Shen said.
Last week, Asus Chairman Jonney Shih said Windows RT has not been promising and said Asus is putting time and energy into devices running Intel chips.
The Shen confirmation comes a day after Nvidia said it expects revenue to drop as much as 40% this year from the Tegra processor used in some Windows RT tablets and some Android tablets and smartphones. The Tegra 3 runs in the VivoTab, as well as Microsoft's Surface RT and Lenovo's Yoga 11 tablet.
Microsoft wrote off $900 million in July to make up for steep discounts on its own Surface RT tablet. Analysts believe Microsoft will continue as the sole maker of Windows RT devices.
Windows RT tablets only garnered 0.5% of the tablet market in the second quarter, IDC said this week. That means about 200,000 shipped in the second quarter, the same amount as the first quarter.
Windows 8 tablets have fared better, with 1.8 million shipments in the second quarter and 4% of the market, IDC said.
More tablet info
The table below shows the most recently announced tablets as reported by Computerworld. Click a tablet's name in the leftmost column to read a news story or review with more information about the device, or view a larger table with more details about each product.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- The Forrester Wave™: File Sync And Share Platforms, Q3 2013 Download this Analyst report to read why IBM SmartCloud for Social Business was cited as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: File Sync...
- Brunswick Case Study By implementing IBM SmartCloud services, Brunswick estimates that it avoided hundreds of thousands of dollars in capital expenditures, and is saving up to...
- Energizing Life's Work If your life's work is about caring for people in a business context, the latest digital and social innovations from IBM can help...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!