Microsoft touts 30K insurance company users of Windows 8 Pro custom tablets
Meiji Yasuda Life replaces paper printouts from XP PCs
Computerworld - Since its introduction of Windows 8 Pro earlier this year, Microsoft has been promoting its value to enterprise users.
On Wednesday, Microsoft announced that 30,000 Windows 8 Pro tablets are being deployed to sales personnel at Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance in Tokyo. The tablets will go into use in September.
Using the tablets, sales personnel will be able to offer videos and other content to explain the company's insurance products, Microsoft said in a statement. Windows 8 Pro was used on specialized tablets built by Fujitsu for the deployment. Sales personnel at various U.S.-based companies have used iPads in a similar fashion since late 2010, including auto dealerships, to show off new car features and to check inventory in auto showrooms.
Yasuda sales teams previously prepared insurance proposals on Windows XP-based PCs and then printed them out for customers, Microsoft said in a blog.
The company's existing XP apps are compatible with Windows 8, which reduced the process of upgrading to a tablet. Plus, there's less reliance on paper. A Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview with security, BYOD (Bring your own device) and user interface enhancements, among other features, is available, while the full enterprise edition will be released later this year.
Shipments of Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets reached 2 million in the second quarter, up from 1.8 million in the first quarter, IDC said this week. Of the 2 million, 1.8 million were Windows 8 tablets.
This article, Microsoft touts 30K insurance company users of Windows 8 Pro custom tablets, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!