Microsoft touts 30K insurance company users of Windows 8 Pro custom tablets
Meiji Yasuda Life replaces paper printouts from XP PCs
Computerworld - Since its introduction of Windows 8 Pro earlier this year, Microsoft has been promoting its value to enterprise users.
On Wednesday, Microsoft announced that 30,000 Windows 8 Pro tablets are being deployed to sales personnel at Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance in Tokyo. The tablets will go into use in September.
Using the tablets, sales personnel will be able to offer videos and other content to explain the company's insurance products, Microsoft said in a statement. Windows 8 Pro was used on specialized tablets built by Fujitsu for the deployment. Sales personnel at various U.S.-based companies have used iPads in a similar fashion since late 2010, including auto dealerships, to show off new car features and to check inventory in auto showrooms.
Yasuda sales teams previously prepared insurance proposals on Windows XP-based PCs and then printed them out for customers, Microsoft said in a blog.
The company's existing XP apps are compatible with Windows 8, which reduced the process of upgrading to a tablet. Plus, there's less reliance on paper. A Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview with security, BYOD (Bring your own device) and user interface enhancements, among other features, is available, while the full enterprise edition will be released later this year.
Shipments of Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets reached 2 million in the second quarter, up from 1.8 million in the first quarter, IDC said this week. Of the 2 million, 1.8 million were Windows 8 tablets.
This article, Microsoft touts 30K insurance company users of Windows 8 Pro custom tablets, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!