Microsoft touts 30K insurance company users of Windows 8 Pro custom tablets
Meiji Yasuda Life replaces paper printouts from XP PCs
Computerworld - Since its introduction of Windows 8 Pro earlier this year, Microsoft has been promoting its value to enterprise users.
On Wednesday, Microsoft announced that 30,000 Windows 8 Pro tablets are being deployed to sales personnel at Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance in Tokyo. The tablets will go into use in September.
Using the tablets, sales personnel will be able to offer videos and other content to explain the company's insurance products, Microsoft said in a statement. Windows 8 Pro was used on specialized tablets built by Fujitsu for the deployment. Sales personnel at various U.S.-based companies have used iPads in a similar fashion since late 2010, including auto dealerships, to show off new car features and to check inventory in auto showrooms.
Yasuda sales teams previously prepared insurance proposals on Windows XP-based PCs and then printed them out for customers, Microsoft said in a blog.
The company's existing XP apps are compatible with Windows 8, which reduced the process of upgrading to a tablet. Plus, there's less reliance on paper. A Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview with security, BYOD (Bring your own device) and user interface enhancements, among other features, is available, while the full enterprise edition will be released later this year.
Shipments of Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets reached 2 million in the second quarter, up from 1.8 million in the first quarter, IDC said this week. Of the 2 million, 1.8 million were Windows 8 tablets.
This article, Microsoft touts 30K insurance company users of Windows 8 Pro custom tablets, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- 10GbE in the Data Center Improvements in 10GbE technology, lower pricing, and improved performance make 10GbE for the mid-market a viable and cost-effective strategy. This white paper discusses...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts