New Nexus 7 tops iPad Mini in drop, slide, and dunk tests
Square Trade video shows audio failed on iPad Mini after dunk, but kept rolling on latest Google Nexus 7 tablet (see video below)
Computerworld - Google's new Nexus 7 tablet held up better than the iPad Mini and the original Nexus 7 in durability tests performed by Square Trade.
Square Trade, a provider of tablet and gadget warranties, performed drop, slide and dunk tests on all three 7-in. tablets, and then showed the results in a YouTube video.
The iPad Mini sustained the most damage to its cover and screen in a five-foot corner drop. The new Nexus 7 took some corner damage and a couple of screen scratches in the same drop, but was not damaged as severely as the iPad Mini. The drop left the original Nexus 7 with more damage than the new one.
In a slide test on a smooth-surfaced table, the iPad Mini slid completely off the desk after a short push, while both Nexus 7s stopped a couple of feet from the start of the push due to the matte and textured panels on the back case.
In the dunk test, only the new Nexus 7's audio continued working after a brief dunk in water. The iPad Mini lost audio even after a restart following the dunk, while the old Nexus 7 completely reset itself and didn't have audio, at least right away.
Square Trade provides a $49.99 warranty for two years for a new tablet in the $200 to $249.99 range.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!