New Nexus 7 tops iPad Mini in drop, slide, and dunk tests
Square Trade video shows audio failed on iPad Mini after dunk, but kept rolling on latest Google Nexus 7 tablet (see video below)
Computerworld - Google's new Nexus 7 tablet held up better than the iPad Mini and the original Nexus 7 in durability tests performed by Square Trade.
Square Trade, a provider of tablet and gadget warranties, performed drop, slide and dunk tests on all three 7-in. tablets, and then showed the results in a YouTube video.
The iPad Mini sustained the most damage to its cover and screen in a five-foot corner drop. The new Nexus 7 took some corner damage and a couple of screen scratches in the same drop, but was not damaged as severely as the iPad Mini. The drop left the original Nexus 7 with more damage than the new one.
In a slide test on a smooth-surfaced table, the iPad Mini slid completely off the desk after a short push, while both Nexus 7s stopped a couple of feet from the start of the push due to the matte and textured panels on the back case.
In the dunk test, only the new Nexus 7's audio continued working after a brief dunk in water. The iPad Mini lost audio even after a restart following the dunk, while the old Nexus 7 completely reset itself and didn't have audio, at least right away.
Square Trade provides a $49.99 warranty for two years for a new tablet in the $200 to $249.99 range.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts