Intel website lists new 10-in., 7-in. Android tablet designs
The tablets are targeted at the education market
IDG News Service - Intel has posted information on its website about new tablets for the education market with 10-inch and 7-inch screens, Atom chips and the Android OS code-named Jellybean.
The Intel Education Tablet with a 10-inch screen has a dual-core Atom Z2460 chip, also code-named Medfield, which was used in the first Intel-based smartphones from Lenovo, Xolo and others. The tablet provides more than 6.5 hours of battery life, according to a product brief published on the chip maker's website.
The 10-inch screen displays images at a resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels. The tablet weighs approximately 689 grams. Other features include 16GB of storage and a stylus.
Also listed was the Intel Education Tablet with a 7-inch screen and Android 4.1. It runs on Intel's single-core Atom Z2420 processor, which is also used by companies like Asus in sub-$200 tablets and smartphones. The Intel tablet provides more than 7.8 hours of battery life, according to a product brief.
The 7-inch tablet weighs 355 grams and the screen can display images at a 1024 x 600 pixel resolution. It offers 8GB of storage.
Both the tablets have Wi-Fi, a micro-USB slot, a 0.3-megapixel front camera, 2-megapixel rear camera and McAfee security software. The 10-inch tablet includes Bluetooth, which is an optional feature in the 7-inch tablet.
Intel did not immediately respond to requests for comment about pricing and availability.
The tablets come with Kno Textbooks software, which Intel acquired in 2011. Using hardware features, the software can also turn the tablet into a virtual laboratory, library or a canvas for students to write or paint on.
Intel does not make the tablets, but provides hardware reference designs for device makers. Intel's last tablet was the Studybook, which had a 7-inch screen and was introduced last year. But the company has adopted the name Education Tablet for its latest designs. Though the products are mostly targeted at the education market, many small device makers have adopted the designs for products sold commercially.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts