Intel website lists new 10-in., 7-in. Android tablet designs
The tablets are targeted at the education market
IDG News Service - Intel has posted information on its website about new tablets for the education market with 10-inch and 7-inch screens, Atom chips and the Android OS code-named Jellybean.
The Intel Education Tablet with a 10-inch screen has a dual-core Atom Z2460 chip, also code-named Medfield, which was used in the first Intel-based smartphones from Lenovo, Xolo and others. The tablet provides more than 6.5 hours of battery life, according to a product brief published on the chip maker's website.
The 10-inch screen displays images at a resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels. The tablet weighs approximately 689 grams. Other features include 16GB of storage and a stylus.
Also listed was the Intel Education Tablet with a 7-inch screen and Android 4.1. It runs on Intel's single-core Atom Z2420 processor, which is also used by companies like Asus in sub-$200 tablets and smartphones. The Intel tablet provides more than 7.8 hours of battery life, according to a product brief.
The 7-inch tablet weighs 355 grams and the screen can display images at a 1024 x 600 pixel resolution. It offers 8GB of storage.
Both the tablets have Wi-Fi, a micro-USB slot, a 0.3-megapixel front camera, 2-megapixel rear camera and McAfee security software. The 10-inch tablet includes Bluetooth, which is an optional feature in the 7-inch tablet.
Intel did not immediately respond to requests for comment about pricing and availability.
The tablets come with Kno Textbooks software, which Intel acquired in 2011. Using hardware features, the software can also turn the tablet into a virtual laboratory, library or a canvas for students to write or paint on.
Intel does not make the tablets, but provides hardware reference designs for device makers. Intel's last tablet was the Studybook, which had a 7-inch screen and was introduced last year. But the company has adopted the name Education Tablet for its latest designs. Though the products are mostly targeted at the education market, many small device makers have adopted the designs for products sold commercially.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!