Samsung Galaxy Note III unveiling expected Sept. 4
Launch of 'next Galaxy' will be at event in Berlin, Samsung says
Computerworld - Samsung plans to announce a new Galaxy device -- probably the Note III -- on Sept. 4 in Berlin, according to an invitation sent to reporters on Monday.
The invitation includes mention of a live Webcast of the event, and the words: "Be the first to experience the next Galaxy."
There are Galaxy-branded tablets and smartphones, and also phablets.
In early September last year in Berlin, Samsung launched its Galaxy Note II large-screen smartphone. An annual refresh of the Note this fall has been expected, and the Sept. 4 event is timed two days prior to the start of the IFA technology conference in same city.
The IFA conference is slated for Sept. 6-11.
Another clue that the Galaxy being announced is the Note III is that the invitation is handwritten, seemingly in the style seen while drawing with a Note stylus on a screen.
TechCrunch.com, a technology news site, reported that the Note III could have a 6.3-in. touchscreen or possibly four variations of the device with different screen sizes.
Samsung wouldn't comment.
The Note II runs Android 4.1.2, although the latest version of Android has now reached 4.3. The Note III, if it truly has a 6.3-in. screen, would be much larger than the 5.5-in. Note II.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BlackBerry pushes BBM Protected for end-to-end encrypted messaging
- Can Microsoft's Windows Phone OS surge in market share?
- HTC One M8 called a good looker and genuine rival to the Galaxy S5
- Smartphone innovation is slowing, so what's next?
- Studies show Sprint and T-Mobile need to expand U.S. coverage
- Gear Fit: Samsung strikes again with its 'build one of any device' plan
- Nokia Lumia Icon on sale Feb. 20 exclusively at Verizon
- Samsung hints at new UI for upcoming Galaxy S5
- How 'Lenovorola' changes the mobile world
- Google and Samsung grow cozier with patent deal, Motorola sale
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!