Hey Google, find my Android phone
New software coming this month will help users locate lost or stolen phones
IDG News Service - Google is bringing a "find my phone" feature to Android later this month.
The feature will be included in the new "Android Device Manager" that is launching sometime in August, the company said in a blog post Friday.
The service will let users force a lost phone to ring at maximum volume, even if it's in silent mode. And if the phone was lost but is still connected to a network, it will show a map of its location in real time.
If the phone is determined to be lost for good or stolen, data on the device can be erased through the same device manager.
The features are similar to those that have been available on Apple devices for sometime. On Android, users have had to turn to third-party apps for the same features.
The software will be compatible with Android 2.2 or above, which means almost all Android devices currently in use. It will come as an app and a companion website.
Google and other major players in the smartphone industry have been under pressure to do more to curb the rising number of smartphone thefts across the U.S. Pushed by law enforcement, Google, Apple, Microsoft and Samsung are being asked to devise systems that would make phones useless if they are stolen, reducing the incentive to steal a phone.
San Francisco District Attorney George GascA3n said two weeks ago that Google and Microsoft weren't doing enough to respond to his call for action. The location and data deletion functions announced by Google Friday won't be enough to satisfy GascA3n's request that phones be "bricked" -- made useless so they cannot be used again -- in the event they are stolen.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!