Isis mobile wallet to roll out nationwide this year
Pilots started last October in Utah and Texas cities have now reached 4,000 retailers
Computerworld - Isis will roll out its mobile wallet application nationwide later this year following successful pilots that launched last fall in Austin, Texas, and Salt Lake City, Utah.
Isis, which competes with Google Wallet and other mobile wallet technologies, relies on Near Field Communication technology that's now offered in 35 smartphone models sold by AT&T, T-Mobile US and Verizon Wireless, the company said in a statement.
Isis is a joint venture of the three carriers.
The Samsung Galaxy S III and S4 and the HTC One X support Isis currently, among others.
The iPhone, Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 devices are expected to start supporting Isis mobile wallet later this year, Isis said.
Isis said that since its pilots began last October, the number of retailers and other locations that set up NFC readers for contactless payment has quadrupled to more than 4,000 locations.
Active Isis users tap their mobile wallets more than 10 times a month. The number of users was not revealed, however.
Isis provided testimonials from Coca-Cola and Jamba Juice about the success of the pilot programs. Coca-Cola North America Group said more than one-third of active Isis mobile wallet users in Austin loaded a My Coke Rewards card onto their wallet.
Jamba Juice said Isis drove incremental foot traffic to its stores.
A major factor limiting the acceptance of NFC-abled mobile wallets has been a shortage of NFC-reader payment terminals in stores. Isis now says that 25 of the top 100 national retailers have deployed or are deploying contactless terminals. Aite Group estimated 1.3 million locations nationwide will have such terminals by the end of the year.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
- Visa launches 'Checkout' for quick and easy payments from any device
- PayPal rebrands, touting mobile payment abilities
- Isis CTO accuses retailers of turning off NFC and smartcard payment tech
- How apps are changing fast food
- Starbucks hits $1B in mobile payment revenues in 2013, analysis says
- Are we giving up on mobile payments already?
- Get a free smoothie for an NFC tap
- Facebook to test new mobile payment service
- Isis mobile wallet to roll out nationwide this year
- Google Wallet chief's resignation another bad sign for NFC
Read more about Mobile Payments in Computerworld's Mobile Payments Topic Center.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Mobile Payments White Papers | Webcasts