Microsoft ships IE11 preview for Windows 7
Learns lesson after bitter complaints last year about IE10's late appearance on Windows 7
Computerworld - Microsoft today released a preview of Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) for Windows 7, making good on a June promise to add Windows' most popular edition to the browser's run list.
Last month, Microsoft confirmed that it would create a Windows 7 version of IE11, but at the time declined to set a timetable.
Today's release was labeled "Developer Preview" by Microsoft, implying that IE11 on Windows 7 is rougher around the edges than on Windows 8.1. A beta of IE11 was included in the latter's public preview that launched in late June.
The appearance of the IE11 preview on Windows 7 beat the timing of IE10 on that OS by several months, hinting that Microsoft took to heart complaints by Windows 7 customers last year that they'd been neglected. Microsoft finally shipped IE10 for Windows 7 on Feb. 26, four months after that browser's debut on Windows 8.
Today, Microsoft pledged that IE11 on Windows 7 would offer most of the functionality and features of the browser on Windows 8. "IE11 on Windows 7 offers the same improved performance, faster page load times [and] new standards support for next generation sites," said Sandeep Singhal and Rob Mauceri, a pair of group program managers for IE, in a blog post.
Among IE11's enhancements and additions, Singhal and Mauceri trumpeted the browser's support for WebGL, the open-source 3-D and 2-D graphics acceleration standard. Getting behind WebGL in IE11 was a turn-about for Microsoft, which in 2011 scorned the standard as unsafe.
"WebGL is now a vital component of the Web developers' toolkit, as real-world sites are now using WebGL to create interactive visualization experiences in shopping, real estate, and social networking," Singhal and Mauceri wrote today.
IE11 on Windows 7, however, will not support SPDY, the Google-designed page load acceleration protocol.
The developer preview of IE11 for Windows 7 can be downloaded from Microsoft's website in 13 languages, including Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Russian and Spanish.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts