Does anyone in IT truly relax on vacation?
Real getaways for IT pros? Not. Here's how IT managers manage themselves on vacation
Computerworld - That IT professionals work on vacation is as obvious as sand on a beach. Some see it as part of the job bargain, and maybe there's something to relish about being indispensable.
One recent survey found that 67% of senior IT professionals are expected to be available during vacation, said TEKsystems, a staffing agency that conducted the research.
This percentage sounds low. Something in the range of 95% sounds more believable, but that's just a guesstimate based on telephone interviews and emails from some IT pros.
Everyone, it seems, does some work on vacation, unless they're joyriding with James Cameron 6.8 miles down into the cellphone signal-less depths of the Mariana Trench. On Mount Everest, at least, you can bring a satellite phone.
For IT pros such as Osvaldo de Lima, the CIO of ECOM Group, a 160-year-old multinational agriculture commodities trading and processing company, there is no escape from work, just accommodation.
De Lima keeps up with his emails, takes some calls, and says if he doesn't there will be too much waiting for him when he returns to the office. "[It is] to my own benefit," he said.
He will also delegate as much as possible. "Trust the team," de Lima said.
A vacation, nonetheless, says de Lima, still means he is not commuting to the office and is spending time with family. But you never fully put work aside. "That's the nature of our job; that's the profession that we chose," he said.
Brian Kelley, the CIO of Portage County IT Services in Ravenna, Ohio, said, "Work will always impede upon my vacations to some degree." Similar to de Lima, Kelley says that checking on things makes the return from vacation easier.
"By managing some work while on vacation, I can rest assured that when I return to work catching up will not be a major headache nor require that I put in long days to do so," he said.
Simon Wieczner, president and CEO of Snowbound Software, which makes document viewer technology, said vacations are "worth it, despite the interruptions."
"My goal is just to minimize the family time disrupted and remember that it would have been worse not to take the vacation at all," he said.
About 54% of managers expect work will be accomplished by employees during a vacation, according to a Harris Interactive survey of nearly 2,100 adults last month, commissioned by Ricoh Americas.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts