Following attacks, Networks Solutions reports MySQL hiccups
Customers continue to experience problems following last week's outages
IDG News Service - Network Solutions warned Monday of latency problems for customers using MySQL databases just a week after the hosting company fended off distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks.
"Some hosting customers using MySQL are reporting issues with the speed with which their websites are resolving," the company wrote on Facebook. "Some sites are loading slowly; others are not resolving. We're aware of the issue, and our technology team is working on it now."
Network Solutions, which is owned by Web.com, registers domain names, offers hosting services, sells SSL certificates and provides other website-related administration services.
On July 17, Network Solutions said it came under a DDoS attack that caused many of the websites it hosts to not resolve. The company said later in the day that most of the problems had been fixed, and it apologized two days later.
"Because online security is our top priority, we continue to invest millions of dollars in frontline and mitigation solutions to help us identify and eliminate potential threats," it said.
Some customers, however, reported problems before Network Solutions acknowledged the cyberattacks. One customer, who wrote to IDG News Service before Network Solutions issued the MySQL warning, said he had problems publishing a website on July 16, before the DDoS attacks are believed to have started.
Several other customers who commented on the company's Facebook page reported problems going back to a scheduled maintenance period announced on July 5. The company warned customers they might experience service interruptions between 10 p.m. EST on July 5 and 7 a.m. the next morning.
Donna Marian, an artist who creates macabre dolls, wrote on the company's Facebook page on Monday that her site was down for five days.
"I have been with you 13 years and have not got one word about this issue that has and is still costing my business thousands of dollars," Marian wrote. "Will you be reimbursing me for my losses?"
Company officials could not be immediately reached for comment.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts