Consumer shift to mobile devices boosts Google's revenue
CEO Larry Page lauds results as representative of a 'great quarter' for the company
IDG News Service - Google's second-quarter revenue increased by 19% to about $14 billion, aided by consumers' shift to mobile devices, the company said Thursday.
The Internet company generated sales of $14.11 billion for the quarter, which ended June 30. The revenue excludes the commissions and fees that Google pays to other sites that run its ads. Taking those into account, the company's second-quarter revenue was $11.1 billion.
Google also posted net income of $3.23 billion, or $9.54 a share, up roughly 16% from $2.79 billion, or $8.42 a share, in the second quarter of 2012. But net income dipped slightly from the $3.35 billion reported in the first quarter of this fiscal year.
Still, it was "a great quarter," Google CEO Larry Page said in the company's earnings announcement. "The shift from one screen to multiple screens and mobility creates tremendous opportunity for Google," he said.
"With more devices, more information, and more activity online than ever, the potential to improve people's lives even more is immense," he added.
Google saw more mixed results within its advertising business. Paid clicks, or the clicks on search ads that advertisers pay for, increased approximately 23% over 2012's second quarter.
However, the cost of paid clicks, or the money Google charges when someone clicks on an ad, fell by 6% compared to the same period last year.
Google-owned sites generated 68% of the company's total revenue in the quarter, at $8.87 billion, Google reported, representing an 18% increase over 2012's second quarter. Partner sites contributed revenue of $3.19 billion, or 24% of total company sales. "Other" revenue from Google was $1.05 billion, representing a 138% increase, the company said. It did not provide information about sources for that revenue.
Meanwhile, Google's Motorola mobile revenue, which includes hardware, was $998 million, representing 7% of consolidated revenue for the quarter, the company reported, up from $843 million in the year-ago period.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts