HTC adds HTC One Mini, with 4.3-inch screen, 1.7 GHz dual-core processor
The phone will launch globally in September
IDG News Service - HTC has finally unveiled its much-rumored "HTC One mini" handset, and will bring the compact version of its flagship smartphone to select markets as soon as August.
The new handset boasts a similar design as the HTC One, but has slightly lower hardware specs. The mini has a smaller 4.3-inch display, with a screen resolution of 720p instead of 1080p. The phone's processor is also slower, and packs a dual-core 1.4 GHz processor, instead of the quad-core 1.7 GHz chip found in the HTC One.
Pictures of the mini also showed it having larger borders on its edges. It uses the same "UltraPixel" camera and HTC Sense user interface as the HTC One. Color options are silver or black.
HTC declined to provide further details on the device and its pricing, but it will be available globally in September.
HTC unveiled the new handset after Samsung also announced a smaller version of its flagship Galaxy S4 at the end of May. The Galaxy S4 mini also has a 4.3-inch screen, and a 1.7 GHZ dual-core processor, and is already available in certain markets.
The Taiwanese smartphone maker's previous phone, the HTC One, garnered positive reviews when it was launched earlier this year. But the company has still struggled to lift its earnings. In the second quarter, HTC's net profit was down 83 percent year-over-year.
"The HTC One is one of the most successful products the company had in its history," said Nicole Peng, an analyst with research firm Canalys. "And having a more affordable version of this product will help getting it to more consumers who are fond of the design of the HTC One."
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!