Droid Ultra smartphone expected at next week's Verizon event
Several smartphone unveilings coming, including iPhone 5S
Computerworld - Several smartphone launches are imminent, including next Tuesday's Verizon Wireless event in New York City to unveil what the carrier's calling "the next generation of one of their most popular family of devices."
Other smartphones expected for fall sales include the iPhone 5S, the Moto X from Google, and the LG Optimus 2.
It's a safe bet that Verizon will update the Droid Razr smartphone line running Android, including the Motorola Droid Ultra, which was described as "invulnerable" in a leaked TV ad storyboard first posted on Android Central and since removed.
Various reports indicate the Ultra will have a Gorilla Glass screen and Kevlar for the case, and will launch Aug. 8. Other Droids that Verizon could disclose include a Droid Ultra Maxx and a Droid Ultra Mini, according to Computerworld's JR Raphael and other reports.
A leaked video from Rogers Wireless and obtained by Mashable, shows the Moto X will have a voice command innovation that allows a user to interact with the phone anytime by speaking, "Ok, Google Now." No touch will be required to initiate the voice command.
Meanwhile, Google on Wednesday sent out invitations to a press event July 24 in San Francisco that reveal no details other than that Android and Chrome chief Sundar Pichai will host, signaling that some new mobile product or feature could be unveiled.
Pichai, whose formal title is senior vice president of Android, Chrome and apps, replaced Google exec Andy Rubin this past March to lead development of the Android mobile operating system.
Industry watchers have awaited a new version of the company's Android software, known as Jelly Bean, in the current version. The latest rumors focus on a fall release of Android 5.0, dubbed Key Lime Pie.
LG also has set an event for Aug. 7 in New York City, where the company is expected to announce the G2, a successor to the Optimus G launched last September.
Qualcomm has already said it is providing the Snapdragon 800 processor to the successor for the LG Optimus G. That 800 chip would have LTE Advanced support and 802.11ac Wi-Fi capability.
While Android phones dominate smartphone sales globally, in the U.S. there is still tremendous attention on when the next iPhone, generally called the iPhone 5S, will appear.
Misek also said Apple is already producing a lower-cost iPhone for fall release priced at $300 to $400 without a carrier subsidy.
Various reports say the iPhone 5S includes a larger battery, an A7 processor and a fingerprint sensor. It will run the new iOS 7, unveiled in June.
Zach Miners, of the IDG News Service, contributed to this report.
This article, Droid Ultra smartphone expected at next week's Verizon event , was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
- Sprint to resell Google Apps for Business cloud service
- Samsung's S5 mini: Slimmer and slower than S5, but still scans fingerprints
- Privacy-focused Blackphone starts shipping to early adopters
- Why you shouldn't buy the Amazon Fire phone
- A closer look at the new technologies in Amazon's Fire smartphone
- Amazon's Fire phone is 'Prime' example of customer first
- Amazon's expected smartphone already faces skeptics
- Update: Tizen OS declared 'dead in the water'
- LG's new G3 smartphone: Simpler is better
- LG G3 sports quad-HD screen and laser autofocus
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Onboarding New Employees Read this paper to understand the difference between training and socialization in employee onboarding.
- Clearing the Network Hurdle to Cloud Deployment Although enthusiasm is high among IT pros for cloud services, an IDG Research Quick Poll survey found that, in fact, the cloud is...
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!