For the site, the Data.gov development team will rely heavily on open-source software. The redesigned site will use the Apache Solr search server software to improve the site's search capabilities. Agencies that post their metadata in the Common Core Metadata Schema will have their data sets indexed by Data.gov.
For the data catalogue, it will use the CKAN (Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network) data management platform. For content and the community sections, Data.gov will use the WordPress content management system.
Even the fonts are open source -- the new site will use the Abel and Lato fonts, from Google Fonts, though some argue that these fonts, available only as a service, aren't truly open source in nature.
Nonetheless, the use of open source is a "reassuring sign" that Data.gov is moving further in line with the White House's preference to maximize the use of open-source software, Wonderlich said.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Cloud Storage White Papers | Webcasts