Samsung wants a retrial in $1B patent ruling for Apple
Apple's narrowing of a patent claim constitutes new evidence, Samsung says
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics has requested a new trial for a patent related to a $1 billion infringement ruling against it in a case brought by rival Apple, due to a re-examination of the patent at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Samsung, in a petition filed late Monday, asked the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California to retry the damages portion of the patent infringement case for one of seven Apple patents Samsung was found to infringe last August.
The Samsung request for a retrial covers U.S. patent 7,469,381, a patent for list scrolling and document translation, scaling and rotation on a touchscreen display, known as Apple's overscroll bounce patent.
Earlier this year, the USPTO re-examined the Apple patent, and Samsung has learned that Apple has "successfully advocated a new claim construction ... and significantly narrowed its scope in connection with re-examinationA proceedings before the PTO to avoid having this claim rejected," Samsung's lawyers wrote in court documents.
While the USPTO confirmed Apple's patent claim, Apple "advocated an entirely new and far narrower interpretation" of the claim used against Samsung, Samsung's lawyers wrote. With the new interpretation, several Samsung products "cannot possibly infringe" Apple's claim on the patent, they wrote.
Samsung also asked the court for a stay in the case pending its appeal.
Last week, Samsung asked the court to remove its deadlines in the case because Apple's new damages expert had come up with larger damage estimates than previously asserted, reported Florian Mueller on Fosspatents.com. Apple accused Samsung of attempting to "delay and derail" the case.
Representatives of Apple and Samsung didn't immediately respond to requests for comments on the petition for retrial.
- In Apple v. Samsung, it's a 'holy war' for $2B
- A day into the trial, Apple and Samsung already annoying each other
- Supreme Court justices raise questions about software patents
- Phil Schiller up again in next round of Apple-Samsung battle
- Nokia and HTC bury hatchet in patent disputes
- How about them apples: Google and Samsung ink patent deal
- Samsung's Apple damages equal to just 16 days' profit
- Supreme Court to get software patent case
- The latest move to kill bad patents divides tech industry
- Judge refuses to stay Apple-Samsung lawsuit pending patent review
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Legal White Papers |