Garmin's head-up display connects smartphone navigation to any vehicle windshield
The $130 device called cheaper alternative to installed HUDs
Computerworld - Garmin today announced a portable head-up display device for smartphone navigation apps that costs $129.99 and can be used in any car.
Called HUD, the device will be available later this summer.
It projects directions from the smartphone to a transparent film on the windshield of a car or onto a reflector lens attached to the HUD device, Garmin said in a statement. The HUD device pairs wirelessly via Bluetooth to iPhones, Android phones or phones running Windows Phone 8.
Garmin said that the HUD can increase safety by lessening driver distraction because a driver sees the directions within his or her line of sight without taking their eyes off the road.
"Head-up displays currently have their place in select high-end cars, but HUD makes this technology available as an aftermarket accessory for any vehicle, at an affordable price," said Dan Bartel, Garmin's vice president of worldwide sales, in a statement.
HUD offers such information as turn arrows, distance to the next turn, current speed and speed limit, and estimated time of arrival. It also suggests what lane to use for making the next turn. Traffic delays and upcoming traffic cameras are indicated and the display adjusts its brightness level for use in sunlight or at night.
Spoken turn-by-turn directions can be added to the HUD through a Navigon app or a Garmin StreetPilot app, starting at $29.99 for a regional U.S. map.
This article, Garmin's head-up display connects smartphone navigation to any vehicle windshield, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Personal Technology in Computerworld's Personal Technology Topic Center.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts