HTC Q2 profit down 83 percent
HTC also reported a major decline in net profit during this year's first quarter earnings
IDG News Service - HTC's second quarter net profit plummeted 83 percent year on year as sales of the company's latest flagship handset failed to meet expectations.
The company reported net profit of NT$1.25 billion (US$41.6 million), down from NT$7.4 billion a year earlier. Revenue totalled NT$70.7 billion, down 22 percent.
Results for the quarter should have been boosted by sales of the new HTC One smartphone. It went on sale in April, although the company had originally hoped to launch it at the end of March. The delay put the HTC One in closer competition with Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S4 smartphone, which went on to reach sales of 10 million units within a month of its launch in late April.
Heated competition with Samsung and Apple is a major reason for HTC's financial woes, analysts say. To revive its smartphone business, HTC in 2012 launched its new "One" series to help create more brand visibility. The company is also expanding in mainland China, now the world's largest smartphone market, and is spending more efforts on marketing.
Last month in Taiwan, HTC also launched a new 5-inch smartphone, called the Butterfly s, that could end up other markets later this year.
There was one small silver lining for HTC: Profit was slightly up, quarter on quarter, from the record low of NT$85 million that HTC reported in the first quarter.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!