Tencent seeks to boost WeChat messaging outside China
The new campaign will target 15 different markets including Brazil, India and Spain
IDG News Service - Chinese Internet giant Tencent is rolling out a global marketing campaign for its WeChat messaging app in a bid to expand the product's reach across 15 different markets, and boost its popularity among users outside China.
The new campaign will stretch into countries including Brazil, India, Mexico, Spain and Thailand, and marks the largest marketing push for WeChat, a product that lets users send messages, voice recorded notes and pictures to friends via their smartphone.
WeChat has over 300 million users, most of them in Tencent's home market of China, but increasingly users from other countries are joining the service. On Wednesday, Tencent revealed that WeChat now had over 70 million users outside of China, up from 40 million in April. The app currently comes in 18 different languages including English.
The user growth is an encouraging sign for Tencent, one of several Chinese Internet companies that have ambitions to expand their businesses abroad. Tencent is best known as the developer of QQ, China's largest instant messaging service, which has 800 million users. The company has also bought stakes in U.S. developers Epic Games and Riot Games.
So far, Chinese-developed Internet services have yet to match the global reach of Google, Facebook or Twitter. Tencent's WeChat product, however, could be among the first to gain a major international following, according to analysts.
WeChat works like other cellphone messaging apps such as WhatsApp and Line, but much of the product's marketing has been outside of mature markets, or has relied on word-of-mouth. Still, Tencent could one day try to actively promote WeChat in the U.S. In February, the company said it had put together a small team to study the U.S. market.
As part of the new marketing campaign, Tencent has recruited soccer player Lionel Messi and other international celebrities to star in advertisements for WeChat.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!