Ubisoft warns of account database breach after website attack
User names, email addresses and encrypted passwords were accessed, the company said
IDG News Service - Game maker Ubisoft said on Tuesday an account database was breached due to unauthorized access of one of its websites, revealing users' personal information.
The attack divulged user names, email addresses and encrypted passwords, Ubisoft said. The company said it does not store payment information.
"We instantly took steps to close off this access, to begin a thorough investigation with relevant authorities, internal and external security experts, and to start restoring the integrity of any compromised systems," the company said in an advisory on its forum.
Ubisoft did not say which of its websites was breached or how long attackers may have had access. A new splash page was being shown when users navigated to its main website, ubisoft.com, that asked users to change their password.
"Out of an abundance of caution, we also recommend that you change your password on any other website or service where you use the same or a similar password," the advisory said.
In some cases, encrypted passwords can be converted to their original form using password cracking programs. Longer, more complicated passwords are more difficult to crack, which is why security experts recommend mixing in numbers, symbols and capital letters.
In April, Ubisoft took its Uplay service offline, which is used to purchase and download games. A problem with the service allowed hackers to download games for free, including one that had yet to be released.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to... All Cybercrime and Hacking White Papers | Webcasts