FCC approves Google's white spaces database
The FCC allows Google database for public use
IDG News Service - The U.S. Federal Communications Commission has approved for public use a Google database that shows so-called spectrum white spaces available for mobile broadband devices.
The FCC this week announced that its Office of Engineering and Technology has approved the database for public use. The database is designed to track what unused, or white spaces, spectrum in the television bands is available for new Wi-Fi-like uses.
The FCC began a trial of Google's white spaces database in March.
FCC rules require that databases be used to protect TV signals, commercial mobile radio services and other services from interference by white spaces devices. Unlicensed users in the TV spectrum, including wireless microphone users, must register with white spaces databases to protect their services from interference, the FCC said.
Several companies have applied to operate white spaces databases. The FCC approved Spectrum Bridge as the first white spaces database provider in December 2011.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- The Forrester Wave™: File Sync And Share Platforms, Q3 2013 Download this Analyst report to read why IBM SmartCloud for Social Business was cited as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: File Sync...
- Brunswick Case Study By implementing IBM SmartCloud services, Brunswick estimates that it avoided hundreds of thousands of dollars in capital expenditures, and is saving up to...
- Energizing Life's Work If your life's work is about caring for people in a business context, the latest digital and social innovations from IBM can help...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Broadband White Papers | Webcasts