Play it again, HP says, as it gets back into smartphones
HP exec confirms work on new smartphone, says it's not too late to try again
Computerworld - Two years after virtually dropping out of the mobile business, Hewlett-Packard is working on a new smartphone, an HP executive told Press Trust of India.
Asked if HP is working on a smartphone, Yam Su Yin, HP senior director of consumer PC and media tablets for Asia Pacific said: "The answer is yes, but I cannot give a timetable. It would be silly if we say no. HP has to be in the game."
She didn't say what OS the smartphone would use or when it might launch, but said it's not too late to be in the smartphone arena.
HP's Palm Pre smartphone and its TouchPad tablet, both based on the webOS purchased from Palm in 2010, didn't do well, and HP closed its mobile division in 2011.
For a time, HP considered selling the OS, but then announced in late 2011 that it would contribute the code behind webOS to the open-source community.
Analysts expect HP to focus on using Android for mobile devices. In late June, HP announced a Slate 21, a 21.5-in. all-in-one desktop device running Android 4.2.2.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
- Disk storage sales gets year-end boost
- Bug bounty operator presses vendors to pick up patching pace
- Server market revenue down 4.4% in Q4
- Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols: Windows 7 lives!
- HP unveils first 64-bit Windows 8.1 tablets with Intel Atom
- HP brings 'couch potato' model to Pavilion line
- Microsoft tries to jumpstart cheap Windows devices with license price cut
- HP reverses decline in PC sales, claims broad progress in quarter
- HP eyes acquisitions and divestitures, CEO Whitman says
- Intel's new Xeon server chip pushes Itanium closer to end
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts