Play it again, HP says, as it gets back into smartphones
HP exec confirms work on new smartphone, says it's not too late to try again
Computerworld - Two years after virtually dropping out of the mobile business, Hewlett-Packard is working on a new smartphone, an HP executive told Press Trust of India.
Asked if HP is working on a smartphone, Yam Su Yin, HP senior director of consumer PC and media tablets for Asia Pacific said: "The answer is yes, but I cannot give a timetable. It would be silly if we say no. HP has to be in the game."
She didn't say what OS the smartphone would use or when it might launch, but said it's not too late to be in the smartphone arena.
HP's Palm Pre smartphone and its TouchPad tablet, both based on the webOS purchased from Palm in 2010, didn't do well, and HP closed its mobile division in 2011.
For a time, HP considered selling the OS, but then announced in late 2011 that it would contribute the code behind webOS to the open-source community.
Analysts expect HP to focus on using Android for mobile devices. In late June, HP announced a Slate 21, a 21.5-in. all-in-one desktop device running Android 4.2.2.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Server makers rush their Heartbleed patches
- HP to pay $108M in bribery, corruption case
- Windows XP expiration couldn't save PC market in Q1
- HP touts speedy Z Turbo Drive PCI-Express SSDs
- HP says never mind about June 3D printer announcement
- After 30 years, HP brings multifunction inkjet printing to the office
- Newest bug bounty touts $10K rewards, appeals for help in finding Flash flaws
- HP has solved two big problems with 3D printing
- Ex-Autonomy chief Lynch slams HP, CEO Whitman ahead of shareholder meeting
- Tech industry needs more diverse workforce
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!