Microsoft delivers mobile app for SkyDrive Pro
The app, for iOS and Windows 8 devices, gives SharePoint Online users access to the cloud storage service
The free application is available in the Windows Store and Apple Store for people who use SharePoint Online in the broader Office 365 cloud collaboration and communication suite.
The iOS version of the application works on iPads, iPhones and iPod Touch devices. Microsoft already had a version of this application for Windows Phone 8 smartphones.
Users only need to sign in to their Office 365 account in order to access, view and upload documents via the SkyDrive Pro application, Mark Kashman, a Microsoft Senior Product Manager, wrote in a blog post.
"You can use the SkyDrive Pro apps to view documents in your SkyDrive Pro folder, select specific content to take offline when you are traveling or have low bandwidth, organize your content by creating new folders, and upload new content and share with others," he wrote.
According to the documentation available for the mobile application, it doesn't appear to work with versions of SharePoint 2013 server and SkyDrive Pro installed on customer premises.
Microsoft has also promised to release the Newsfeed mobile application for SharePoint, which gives users access to the people and documents they follow on their activity stream. That application is available now for Windows Phone and for iOS, and Microsoft has promised a version for Windows 8 before the end of this month, with an Android version to follow later.
Mobile access has been a weak spot for SharePoint, although Microsoft made improvements in this area in the new 2013 version of the product.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- AIIM SharePoint Industry Watch AIIM surveyed its 65,000 community members to look at how the enterprise is reacting to social aspects, why organizations are exploring social, who...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Social Business White Papers | Webcasts