Yahoo News gets a redesign aimed at personalization
The changes are meant as a step toward a more consistent feel across Yahoo's sites
IDG News Service - In its continuing efforts to woo users with new products and services, Yahoo is at it again, this time with a redesign of its News Page.
The retooled Yahoo News site, which features "a more personal, intuitive and modern design," is a step toward creating a more consistent feel across Yahoo's online properties, the company said Thursday in a blog post.
Under the changes, users can customize their news stream to tell Yahoo which types of content they would like to see more of. And, when people sign in to Yahoo News using their Yahoo ID, the site will become "smarter over time" as it learns more about users' news preferences, to create what Yahoo calls a "personal news hub."
Articles on Yahoo News now also will load faster than before, the company said, and news articles on the site now appear front and center in the content stream.
On iOS, people can also choose between "classic" or a new "visual" design, which fills their mobile device's screen with large images that flow on top of each other as the user scrolls through short news summaries that are overlaid on top of them.
An improved design will be coming to Android-powered devices soon, the company said. "We wanted to be sure you're getting not only a familiar experience but the best experience whether you're sitting at your desk or on-the-go," said Mike Kerns, vice president of product at Yahoo.
The Yahoo News changes, which will come to U.S. users over the next couple of days, represent Yahoo's latest efforts to demonstrate value to its users as it struggles to compete against companies such as Google, Facebook and Twitter.
Unlike those companies, Yahoo does not offer any hardware like smartphones, or a dedicated social network beyond its Flickr photo-sharing site, or its own Web browser.
At the company's annual shareholder meeting on Tuesday, CEO Marissa Mayer described Yahoo as still the industry's largest startup.
"We are making investments, and we are going to continue to make investments, because that's what drives growth," she said.
Prior to Thursday, the company's most recent new product announcement was an overhauled version of its mobile Sports app. Similar to News, the Yahoo homepage also received a redesign in February, with changes geared around bigger, bolder photos and its own personalized news feed.
Yahoo recently forked over more than $1 billion to buy Tumblr, in an effort to gain a new cadre of younger users, and also a foothold in the competitive social media advertising market. That deal closed last week.
The company also announced Thursday that it would be growing its team at its facility in La Vista, Neb., by creating roughly 100 new jobs across customer care, integration and logistics.
Yahoo opened its data center there in 2010.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts