Oracle database 12c now available for download
Database 12c focuses on multitenancy and cloud computing
IDG News Service - Oracle's long-awaited 12c database is now available for download, according to the company's official website.
Download links for the product were available on the site as of late Tuesday.
While it wasn't immediately clear when Oracle will hold a formal launch for 12c, earlier Tuesday a company official said the release would come "within a couple of weeks."
At one point it appeared 12c would arrive much sooner than now. Word leaked early this year that beta testing had been completed and a release was imminent, but ultimately one never occurred.
Database 12c includes a feature Oracle has called "pluggable databases," which allows a single Oracle database instance to hold many other databases, allowing for more efficient use of system resources and easier management.
Oracle has also positioned pluggable databases as a better way to achieve multitenancy for cloud applications.
SaaS (software as a service) vendors have typically used multitenancy at the application level, in which multiple customers share a single application instance while their data is kept apart. Pushing multitenancy down to the database layer provides better security and other advantages, according to Oracle CEO Larry Ellison.
The multitenancy capability will be sold as a separate option, and not received as part of customers' regular annual maintenance fees, Ellison said during last week's Oracle earnings call.
An official Oracle price list, which was updated Tuesday, showed a "multitenant" database option priced at $17,500 per processor. A processor license for the main Enterprise Edition remained priced at $47,500 per processor.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts