Virgin Mobile USA to carry iPhone 5 for $550
Sales kick off June 28; unlimited 3G and 4G LTE data, and unlimited messages, available for $35 a month
Computerworld - Virgin Mobile USA will begin selling the iPhone 5 next Friday, June 28. A 16 GB version will cost $549.99.
For $35 a month, as part Virgin's Beyond Talk plan, the pre-paid carrier will provide unlimited 3G and 4G LTE data, and unlimited messages. Signing up for automatic payments cuts the monthly service charge to $30.
The carrier will offer the 16 GB iPhone 5 in white or black online and at Virgin Mobile dealers and RadioShack.
Virgin Mobile will only sell the black and white 32 GB and 64 GB iPhone 5 versions versions online at the Virgin Mobile website next week for $649.99 and $749.99 respectively.
Sprint subsidiary Virgin follows T-Mobile USA, which in April started offering unlimited plans for the iPhone 5 for an up-front payment. T-Mobile charges $579 for the iPhone 5, with $149 as an initial payment after originally charging $99.
Pre-paid plans are becoming more popular, and all the major carriers have shown interest in offering them.
The iPhone 5 is now nine months old. The next generation model is due in September.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
- Sprint to resell Google Apps for Business cloud service
- Samsung's S5 mini: Slimmer and slower than S5, but still scans fingerprints
- Privacy-focused Blackphone starts shipping to early adopters
- Why you shouldn't buy the Amazon Fire phone
- A closer look at the new technologies in Amazon's Fire smartphone
- Amazon's Fire phone is 'Prime' example of customer first
- Amazon's expected smartphone already faces skeptics
- Update: Tizen OS declared 'dead in the water'
- LG's new G3 smartphone: Simpler is better
- LG G3 sports quad-HD screen and laser autofocus
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts